Prairie Cracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Big boy 20" BMX econo build with a ratty attitude and no real concern of winning, just a fun rider, is the plan.

Started life as a classic Japanese Tange lugged frame and fork MTB known as the Shogun Prairie Breaker II (shown with Schwinn Sierra front wheel).
20190616_202155.jpg
20190810_185456.jpg
Rusty nuts and bolts. Rotten tires. Worn and corroded deraileurs.
Thoughts of an SS cruiser.

Here shown with moto bars and Nexus-4 wheelset, single chainring, and Typhoon Cord tires.
20190811_102919.jpg
But I couldn't get past the way high bottom bracket.

It now sits as just a frame.

So... 20" coaster brake wheelset.
20191001_095558.jpg

155 or so mm crankset....I think I can.
20191001_095619.jpg

Seat, stem, bars, grips, pedals, chainring, and fork, TBD.

Last edited:
Shogun made some pretty sweet road bikes in that era. I'm sure there are some decent bones there. I love the name too. Picture the Japanese executive that came up with it. "We will engineer a bike strong enough to break the prairies!!" I wonder how many actually made it out to the plains, and I'm glad Charlie and Gary's name caught on instead. Otherwise we'd all be prairie breakers instead of mountain bikers.

Shogun made some pretty sweet road bikes in that era. I'm sure there are some decent bones there. I love the name too. Picture the Japanese executive that came up with it. "We will engineer a bike strong enough to break the prairies!!" I wonder how many actually made it out to the plains, and I'm glad Charlie and Gary's name caught on instead. Otherwise we'd all be prairie breakers instead of mountain bikers.
Yeah, I'd never heard of it before I bought it. But lugged Tange fork and frame, cool slingshot stem, 7x rims with sealed Suzue hubs, and pedals worth more than I gave for the bike. I didn't even try to haggle.

The name has really grown on me though.

Didn't even notice the slingshot! In blaaaaaaaaack! I don't think I've seen them in black!
*Updates Xmas list

Shogun was a brand that was smaller production than Fisher or Specialized or Ross or other major players in the late '80s. They were well-made in Japan bikes and had a pro team as well on the circuit.

Your idea is very intriguing! This is gonna be fun!
RaT oN~!

Shogun was a brand that was smaller production than Fisher or Specialized or Ross or other major players in the late '80s. They were well-made in Japan bikes and had a pro team as well on the circuit.

Your idea is very intriguing! This is gonna be fun!
RaT oN~!
I really think it'd make a sweet 24" BMX cruiser, but I have plenty of 20" wheels. And this is the 20 and under class:D

Cool mini-velo ish build.

Another Dahon Smooth Hound 20” non-folder.
aebd80ca7e187006f1128448996c1dce.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mocked the bike up with 700c fork this morning.

This oldschool frame has a lot of rake built in for a nice long wheelbase.

Looks like there might not be enough thread on the steerer. But this is the tallest 1" fork I have, for pedal clearance.
I have steel 3-piece crank in 150? I think. Which would give roughly 3/4" more clearance.

The seat is adjusted pretty close for height. Just need to flatten out the plane.
20191005_084739.jpg

With the forks in wallyworld fashion:bandit::nod:, gets the front end up a little higher for more pedal clearance. Also would get the bars up a little closer to where I would want them.
20191005_083757.jpg

Also have the AMF forks that are the same length, and roughly the same offset. They look pretty sturdy, but I think would need the dropout opened up a bit. They'd add a little oldschool flare.
20191005_085307.jpg

There's a parts bike at a local pawn shop I looked at a few weeks ago with some extra tall 10" or so BMX bars that might be close to where I want to be on this bike. Also had some nice C-Star? caliper brakes for a different project. They wanted 20 but I only wanted to give ten. Maybe now they'd take 15 if it's still there.

20191001_095619.jpg
I don't have this parts bike here at the moment, and don't know how the sprockets are attached on this crank. But I'm hoping I can separate the big wheel and flip it backwards to get close on chain alignment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back