Prairie Rat a.k.a Bangers and Mash (Oct.25 done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The name just came to me but I don't know from where. I posted pics of this earlier but still haven't done anything with it. I picked up some of the parts that I needed just yesterday. It's my first build and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far.

1393278141_6feaadae67.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but mines not a straight bar is it? I am still learning about fixies, straight bars, middleweights, boardtrackers, clunkers and many other names. There should be a glossary of ratrod terms for us noobs.

proudlove said:
Pardon my ignorance, but mines not a straight bar is it? I am still learning about fixies, straight bars, middleweights, boardtrackers, clunkers and many other names. There should be a glossary of ratrod terms for us noobs.

I second that. A glossary would kick butt.

Had "bangers and mash" for a meal in Britain last year - sausage with mashed potato and gravy.

I cooked in an English style pub for a while and we had "bangers and mash" on the menu. This being an English bike, it was the first thing to come to mind.

I am making some slow progress. The wheels that came with this frame were 547 mm S-7s or something like that and I discovered that finding tires for those was next to impossible. So I kept my eyes open for a cheap 24" bike at thrift stores and garage sales. I found one last weekend for 10$ that will do the trick. The rims are aluminum so I don't know how the paint on them will stand up but it'll do for a while. The bike also had these white-wall knobbies on it which I am going to use to help keep the budget down. The apes were the most costly item yet at 24$. Some guy ordered them from my LBS and never picked them up so he sold them to me fairly cheaply. The crankset and the seat are from a 70's CCM I picked for 7$ up at a garage sale last weekend. Also of interest is my Torpedo Doumatic kick-back hub that I got in trade a couple years ago now. That's all for now.
1407760960_35175a1a44.jpg

'nother update Sep 22

Just a quick mock-up. I will take more pics with fenders and the like to see if that looks better.

1425468127_701fa9e9b8.jpg

So I finally got the chunk of steel welded into the frame. The thing that excites me the most about the progress I've made is that it's rideable for the first time. It rides pretty nice too, despite what Longoria thinks. I won't be doing any triathlons on it but it's comfy for running to the store. The apes and the front hub are the only new parts on this bike. Everthing else has been cannibalized from others.

1463722638_b06efd6151.jpg

There's an old GT bmx in a shed at my work that I am going to try to procure for a couple more parts I would like to add to this bike.

Latest posts

Back