Pre-War Western Flyer Dilema *New Photos*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So just the other day I picked up locally the oldest bike I have ever owned. It's a Western Flyer ladies bike circa 1940 or so I think. It is skip tooth and acutally rides how it sits right now. I am not sure if the top tube was originally bent the way it is. There are braze joints at the bends like someone might have done that to it a long time ago. It is hard to tell though because the braze joints on the rest of the frame look the same.

Anyway I am deciding what to do with it. So here are my options

1.) Keep it just the way it is and ride it around

2.) Fix it up as the bike that it is and ride it

3.) Sell off the skip tooth parts (the chain ring, wheel set, and chain) Then use the frame to attach to an older trike assembly that I picked up and have been looking for a frame for.

So what is your opinion? I will get better photos of the bike this weekend for now this is all I have. Also if you are interesed in buying any of the skip tooth stuff let me know

tumblr_lsz8bndF5k1qisni3

From what I can tell the bike was I think Blue, then orange, then someone hand painted it this grey color. The grips are Schwinn but they are still very old.

Re: Pre-War Western Flyer Dilema

The frame looks fine to me, the color however.....maybe not so much :D .. I'd keep it complte since it is and try to find another donor bike for your trike...a repaint may be the sign of a frame repair but if all the welds match, then maybe it wasn't fixed or someone did a good job, either way no big deal.

Oh man now I have opposing viewpoints! I'm thinking about keeping the bike around how it is for a few days to try and decide.

I drew up sort of what I would do with the trike idea. I know the dimensions are all off like the spacing from the front wheel in the forks but it's the general idea. I did it from memory so that's why it sucks. I want to get a big trunk or something to mount on the back so I can put things in it. This is going to be my groccery getting mobile and I have been wanting to build one for a while.

Bike001.jpg

So I got some more photos of the bike today. I figured I had better take some really good photos since I have decided to part it out. Anyway here they are. I have a sale pending on the chainring and crank but here are the other items up for grabs:

Wheel set with good working coaster brake, rims a little bit crusty

Skip tooth chain that is nice and free moving.

I might possibly sell the fenders too i haven't decided yet.

Crusty_Flyer_01.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_02.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_03.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_04.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_05.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_06.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_07.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_08.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_09.jpg

Crusty_Flyer_10.jpg

eparsons said:
i you decide to sell parts off it i would like the fenders, i have a pre war mens western flyer missing the rear fender.

Make me an offer I can't refuse? Would you want both fenders? The front is slightly tweaked but I'm sure could be fixed.

I have know idea who much too offer , i only paid 40 for the hole bike. There is a pic of the bike in fresh finds, its on the second under the title my fresh finds. What would be far.

eparsons said:
I have know idea who much too offer , i only paid 40 for the hole bike. There is a pic of the bike in fresh finds, its on the second under the title my fresh finds. What would be far.

All I can tell you is that shipping is going to be quite a bit, it wouldn't make a difference if it was one or just both because I am going to need a big box to ship one anyway. I think for the fender alone I would want $15.00 plus shipping and $20.00 plus shipping if you want both.

Can you find out how much shipping is , i just had a set of rims and two sets of tires all shipped for 16.00. If its close to that i will take both.

Latest posts

Back