Prewar Schwinn crank choice....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

Sorry for being mechanically challenged, but I have a prewar Schwinn frame that I recently acquired. It has gouges in the chainstays that I assume are from the cranks clipping them. Do I need to use a dog leg crank to prevent this from happening again after I do a little rehab on the frame?

I was really hoping to use all parts that I already own from my parts bin to prevent my wife from throwing me out of the house by buying new parts. I have multiple choices of old school bmx OPC or more modern tubular 3 piece cranks.

The frame below is not mine, but it's very similar (I didn't want to take the 2 min to take a picture and upload).

Thanks in advance.
2013_0421image0001_zpsf09f5d72-1-jpg.539390

Hello,

Sorry for being mechanically challenged, but I have a prewar Schwinn frame that I recently acquired. It has gouges in the chainstays that I assume are from the cranks clipping them. Do I need to use a dog leg crank to prevent this from happening again after I do a little rehab on the frame?

I was really hoping to use all parts that I already own from my parts bin to prevent my wife from throwing me out of the house by buying new parts. I have multiple choices of old school bmx OPC or more modern tubular 3 piece cranks.

The frame below is not mine, but it's very similar (I didn't want to take the 2 min to take a picture and upload).

Thanks in advance.
2013_0421image0001_zpsf09f5d72-1-jpg.539390

The marks on the stays are probably from the cranks being loose and striking the frame every time they went around. Chain guards are usually the victim of loose cranks.

I think a regular crankset will work. Try one of your one piece cranks first to see how they line up. Then a 3 piece will most probably fit just as well.

Latest posts

Back