prewar schwinn, so it begins...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
klunker raw material. prewar excelsior badged frame, future fork & seatpost....
DSC01360.jpg

nice frame. hmmm, the forks have got me, hmmm, whats he up to? top secrert hey? ok, guess we'll have to wait an see.

Outlaw 8)

parts is parts

here's the wheelset. araya 7x. the later, narrower ones. bendix rear hub and an old campy qr front. i'm going for something lighter than what i've built in the past, still has that retro klunker heritage, and that i can easily transport on a fork mount car rack. to that end this one will have a painted cro-mo fork instead of the usual pyramid chrome bmx fork and mafac front cantis in place of a drum setup. my buddy matt did the tube bending for me and mark nobilette is currently making it into a fork. i have a rattle can of schwinn paint from ebay, and will be experimenting with an 'antique' finish to go with what's left of the original finish on the frame.....
DSC01366.jpg

DSC01372.jpg

Re: prewar schwinn, so close.....

just a pile o' bike waiting for a fork, everything else is ready to go.......
DSC01381.jpg

41DX said:
This is gonna be good
BTW, I want to thank you for posting that Cook's fork from ebay. I was feeling sort of foolish for having a custom fork built, but now I feel a WHOLE lot better! :D

stick a fork in it, it's done.......

well, sort of. haven't gotten the cro-mo fork with the canti bosses back yet. put on a basic bmx cruiser fork to get A klunker done in time......29.5 lbs. will post more on the 'finished' thread.

DSC01421.jpg

Bendix, I am not going to make it in time,
My wheels, BB, and handlebars are about 180 miles away at my buddies bike shop. I wanted to be part of putting the wheels together and had planned to go over and do this 2 weeks ago. Unfortunatly my son broke his arm that Friday night during his soccer game and we had to cancell the trip. I was still thinking I could sneak over for the day and get it done before Dec but it didn't happen. Now with work (FedEx) getting busy, I won't have a chance until after the 26th.
I will post photo's as soon as I get it together.

Priorities:

Salsastemononemary0001-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back