Prewar Schwinn What model?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Someone gave me an approx. year once, but I forgot. Anyone know what year and model it is? Serial # is H55678
IMG_20121017_151842-1.jpg
IMG_20121017_151918.jpg
IMG_20121017_151906.jpg
IMG_20121017_151935.jpg
IMG_20121017_151947.jpg

Thanks,
Johnny

thats a cool frame! most likely a 36-40 are you interested in selling it? hope your going to keep it original paint as its an odd ball

Nick.

I think by 39 the straight downtube was replaced with the curved one on these frames. So it is likely 36-38. It's a Henderson going by the script. So it probably would have had a Henderson badge.

Straight down tube and no seat post clamp. I think that would make it pre '37. Henderson was the motorcycle company that Schwinn bought out. Henderson made motorcycles with 4 cylinder motors on them. Gary

I'd klunk the heck outta that!

Plan on keeping it right now. And the og paint too.Will just oil down it down. The decals are just too cool!
IMG_20121017_152014.jpg

Plan is a simple skiptooth klunker right now. Future plans (will take a while) include sturmy archer ft and rr drum brake hubs (rr with a 3or5 speed freewheel and skiptooth hub), monarch springer, brooks saddle and haven't decided on headset or bars yet.

Posted the last pic in the "wanted" sec. a while back. I was, and still am, looking for a Henderson badge. Saw one on ebay(says nos) for $35, but it's too shiny and nice. If any one has a "weathered" one, let me know. Might even buy and trade the nos one.
Johnny

Nightrider said:
Someone gave me an approx. year once, but I forgot. Anyone know what year and model it is? Serial # is H55678Thanks,
Johnny[/quote]

That's an interesting frame with a straight downtube, but curved seatstays and chainstays? I don't see that particular combo here, but '36-'38 sounds right.

[url]http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1893_1940/1938_00.html[/url]

You could ask over on thecabe.com for more info.

J_Westy said:
Nightrider said:
Someone gave me an approx. year once, but I forgot. Anyone know what year and model it is? Serial # is H55678Thanks,
Johnny[/quote]

That's an interesting frame with a straight downtube, but curved seatstays and chainstays? I don't see that particular combo here, but '36-'38 sounds right.

[url]http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1893_1940/1938_00.html[/url]

You could ask over on thecabe.com for more info.[/quote]

:shock: just when I thought I had seen it all...

Hey Nightrider! I had the same model bike but I sold it about a year ago. Mine was a 1941 Schwinn Henderson and it was the same color. Mine had a locking fork, Morrow rear hub and sweet patina. These pics might be helpful if you want to fix it back original!
DSC00589.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

MattsHenderson001.jpg

The last pic was before I laced the original rim back in. I know mine was a '41 because I pulled out the crank and the date on it was '41. I figured it'd be a year or two older since it had the straight down tube like yours. I bought a bike from the same guy that sold you yours and mine had an old Memphis license plate on it too! Good luck fixing it up! Hopefully we can get together for a cruise soon!

With 2 frames identical you know that style is a production item. Hard to believe they used the oooold style seat bolt clear up until '41. The crank could have been changed on the second bike, but the serial number on the first bike is not far from my '41 BA-107, #H25296. So, I think it's possible. This would be a good thread for RMS37 to look at. I value his opinions above all others. Gary

Isn't that seat clamp area simply how they turned an 18in frame into a 16in frame? Has anyone ever seen a prewar Schhwinn 16in frame made another way? :?:

dougfisk said:
Isn't that seat clamp area simply how they turned an 18in frame into a 16in frame? Has anyone ever seen a prewar Schhwinn 16in frame made another way? :?:

Nope, and Yes. My 16" frame '41 DX has the standard welded on prewar clamp. I thought Schwinn stopped drilling seat stays for a clamp way way back. I've owned quite a few prewar Schwinn frames that were '37-'41 and not one of those had the drilled stays for a clamp. Gary

Odeebee looked at some photo's of this frame, and I sent him the serial#. He thinks it is around a '36 or '37, leaning more towards a '36. I would love to know for sure. Somebody out there should be able to date it!
Johnny

Just noticed this also: The headtube on the first one looks a bit different than the second one (shorter). Headtube on the first frame is 5". Could just be an optical illusion in the photo's though.
Johnny

Latest posts

Back