Prewar? Western Flyer - Need more info?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, got a very sweet score off Craigslist over the weekend.
Looks to be 100% complete original and rideable Western Flyer. With original paint, and a very awesome patina finish. Looks and feels somewhat oily, I'm thinking someone already rubbed it down with some form of oil to preserve it ?

I think its somewhere in the 35-45 range, base model, no light or tank, looks to have an aftermarket era-correct rack, but that I don't know for sure, I'm no expert in any way. Can anyone clue me in on more info such as the year/model/make.
I think its a CWC? vs a Murray or Shelby.

Sorry have a serial #, but the photo is too hard to read, looks like:
E 95669 53
I can verify this serial when I get home.

The chap I got this from was a very cool dude, he took down the ad due to tons of response, and waited to meet me for an extra hour, as I got off on the wrong highway split, and refused to take extra as I wasted both his and the wife's time.

Not digging up much info on this:
From everything I can find on the web, with similar pictures, etc shows this to be 38-42? I don't see any standoffs or holes for a light or tank, am I correct in assuming it would not have come with those standard?

Would this have a chain guard on it, or any other parts originally?

The pictures of what I can find so far, tell me this is prewar, or at the least early 40s, the bars seem to have changed by the mid 40s?

Heres a couple similar fleabay ads, as Im not seeing anything similar on this site..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bic...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PRE...501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233e4370a5

Probably a '53. Is there a CW beside the 53? The bars are torrington half moon bars. Would have had a chainguard.

Latest posts

Back