I think I am done with this bike. I got a brake on the bike finally. It is a bridgestone band brake. It used to be a rod actuated brake. I modified it to be able to use a cable. I scratched the paint trying to get my custom cable guides on. :x I really wish I had a miniature tap and dye set. I drilled the holes in the frame no problem. What happened is that the screws just wouldn't bite into the steel. The brass is supposed to be sucked up tight to the frame and have zero wiggle room. The screws went most of the way in but I just couldn't get them to move any more. I broke the heads off two of them. One I got back out and the other I had to grind the head off through a hole in the brass. The slight wiggle has allowed the brass to rotate and chip the paint. I really didn't want to put a plastic clamp on, but to prevent more damage I put a black ziptie in front of the front brass guide. Here are some pics.