Pro-Stock Swingbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I am done with this bike. I got a brake on the bike finally. It is a bridgestone band brake. It used to be a rod actuated brake. I modified it to be able to use a cable. I scratched the paint trying to get my custom cable guides on. :x I really wish I had a miniature tap and dye set. I drilled the holes in the frame no problem. What happened is that the screws just wouldn't bite into the steel. The brass is supposed to be sucked up tight to the frame and have zero wiggle room. The screws went most of the way in but I just couldn't get them to move any more. I broke the heads off two of them. One I got back out and the other I had to grind the head off through a hole in the brass. The slight wiggle has allowed the brass to rotate and chip the paint. I really didn't want to put a plastic clamp on, but to prevent more damage I put a black ziptie in front of the front brass guide.

Here are some pics.

DSCF0333.jpg

DSCF0334.jpg

DSCF0336.jpg

Wow! incredible work on this one. I need to get some Bounty and wipe up the drool from my keyboard!

First experience ever seeing a swing bike. Must say that the concept is neat, but this bike is flat out wild! I'd ride that thing anywhere!

Re: Pro-Stock Swing bike

If my dog could talk he might say: That's the most awesome ( Pro-Stock Swing ) bike I ever seen.

I would love t see how it works! :arrow: ..... http://youtu.be/JHmqG9xwXjI

TridynamicpicturesGreatgrandpas124.jpg

TridynamicpicturesGreatgrandpas064.jpg

Thanks guys.

I will see if I can get someone to help me out or at least give me some pointers on photography sice investing in a pro photographer was suggested. I will be on the lookout for some good locations. I wanted to take the muscle bike idea to the extreme on this build, but I think it is mainly the wheelie bar that makes hesitate to ride it in public (so far). I am sure I will get over it especially with the recent comments on here. I always thought swingbikes were a little big for their intended audience. My kids are big enough to ride 20" bikes but they can 't ride a regular swingbike. I built a couple of 16" swingbikes that I even ride around on (I know I should feel rediculous on those too, but I don't). Anyway they can just about ride this one with how low I was able to get the seat. The derailleur has two reasons for being there. One is just to get the bike to appear to have more of a mechanical/machine look and to have a motorcyle thing going on with the larger gear in back. The other reason is that I put the dropout extensions on more to lower the bike than to extend it back. The dropouts are almost vertical which doesn't allow much chain adjustment by moving the rear wheel.

Anyway, I apreciate the comments.
Maybe when it warms up. I will ride to somewhere I can get a good picture or two.

Man, sick!

Great job, looks killer! I got a swing bike also thats almost all back together now but its had some frame damage and had a crack when I got it im a welder fabricator so rewelding it was no biggie but im curious what you used to arch the pipes? do you have a roller? Als did you make the rear section? if so im guesiing you cut the "braces" id guess you would call them to look like originals

good job! Ty

....let's see it swing :lol: :|

Tridynamic, I can work on a video and better pictures in the next week or so. For now, here is one of my first bikes and my "little" brother on his first custom frame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5P70XtI4zQ I want to make a new video sometime with the nicer bikes. The bikes in that video were built with reclaimed metal from a scrap yard which included parts from a vw, trampoline, air compressor piston....

Tychevelle, I have to get my tubing rolled. I do not have access to a roller. It is a 3'6" radius. My orginal plan was to make an almost exact copy of an original frame for this build, but in the end I felt this one needed more rake. For the top frame sections I usually start with all new metal including the head tubes. I usually get a pre fabricated rear triangle from a guy on ebay (impala66k) and modify it from there. Sometimes I start completely with all new metal for those as well, but the reproduction rear triangles he has are a good place to start. On this triangle I cut the round leg fork off to put a blade style fork on. When I did that I noticed that the "side plates" or my favorite so far "crank stays" were not positioned evenly from the factory, so they had to be removed and rewelded even with each other. I have cut out many plates but this pair was already cut. I just had to reposition them.

CeeBee, The rake is no problem. I have ridden a lot crazier things than this. The wheelie bar actually causes more of a problem, but only in swing mode. As I swing the pedals out they come up and the wheelie bar goes down and stops the back end from swinging very far. The swing ability does function on this bike, but not nearly as well as my others. If I took the wheelie bar off or raised the rear end by moving the wheel back into the original dropout position it would swing and handle fine.

I built a wheelie bar several years ago that taught my brother how to wheelie a bike. I set the bar to where it stopped him from going over backward just past his center of gravity.

Bikebuilder,Thanks for the video. That's the first time I have seen the swing bike in action. I may have seen some pictures though :?

I like the fact that you can build with scrap metal and old bike parts. Here is my son in the news on the first tridynamic. We have come a long way from here and 4-5 years ago ..... In first minute of video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m43bJtZ00qc

Very Cool ( working ) Swing bike. 8) keep building!

Hi Bikebuilder,

I realize the anti tip is more for ( 8) looks here. but if you borrow the trucks from a skateboard ,maybe get rid of the base plate that comes with the truck.

You might need some super tight bushings or adjust add washers or ? replace with hardware as needed.

this would allow the anti tip to be function more closer to a wheelie bar and somewhat steerable by body lean regarding utility.

Or just go with two wheels instead and scrap the skateboard truck/bushings idea

I know Schwinn ( Wham-mo ? ) used (around 2 inch wide each ) skate board wheels on their anti tip-wheelie bar 1960's-( same concept )

just as a thought here

Thanks for the video!

bikebuilder said:
The stickers were made by rrb member axsepul. The stickers are layered not printed. I might not use them on a restoration, but I think they worked out awesome for this. Thanks axsepul!

Wow I made those a long time ago. Looking good

axsepul,

Thanks again for making them. I really like that chromo-gold with the black. I would love to buy one of your headbadges, but I probably can't afford one anytime soon. They look amazing.

Latest posts

Back