PROJECT 1963 AMERICAN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got industrious yesterday and today and decided to give the American a complete overhaul....fitting for Memorial Day weekend I suppose. Took the whole bike apart and cleaned, polished and lubed everything.

I've had a change in plans with this bike. Plan to keep the 24" S7s on there and hopefully put on a set of white walls. I also plan to buy a sissy bar and one of those white glitter banana seats. Probably a set of aftermarket bow pedals too. Pastor Rat was my source for the super groovy vintage basket.

My fingers are pretty worn out after all of that steel wool action today. :shock:

100_3556.jpg

100_3560.jpg

100_3559.jpg

100_3558.jpg

100_3557.jpg

Steve, that thing looks great! Glad to hear you're going back to the 24's. Heck of a job on the clean up. Can't wait to see the finished product.

HD

That cleaned up very nicely. In my experience, Schwinn paint and chrome is very durable and it can be revived quite well (as this bike proves).

Are those 24" S-7's yet another Schwinn only tire size?

-Mp

Multipass said:
That cleaned up very nicely. In my experience, Schwinn paint and chrome is very durable and it can be revived quite well (as this bike proves).

Are those 24" S-7's yet another Schwinn only tire size?

-Mp

Yeah man, you are right...the quality on the Schwinn products is unmatched. I didn't really realize how awesome the stuff really was until I messed around with that 80s model Huffy during the RRBBO. Now I can see why Schwinn ruled the roads.

Unfortunately yes...they are 24" x 1 3/4" S7 wheels that require the Schwinn specific tires. I guess they no longer make white walls in that size so you either have to go NOS or go blackwall. I suppose you could try the painting technique that some have tried, but I gaurantee if I tried it, it would look like crap and I'd be out $30 in tires...ha ha.

Does anyone know if I would need a 24" or a 36" sissy bar to fit this bike?

Planning to put a white glitter banana seat on here if I can find one.

Go big, you can always hack some off. I was diggin the 26er's though, it kinda looked like the musclecars they do on overhaulin and jam the huge wheels under. Very nice bike! :mrgreen:

Well, I snatched up a set of Kenda 24" S-7s for $9.99 a piece at my LBS the other day and threw them on the other night.

Just bought a white/silver repro Schwinn banana seat from a guy in Austin and it should be here next week.

Now all I need is a sissy bar and some bow pedals.

100_3573.jpg

100_3572.jpg

100_3575.jpg

Thanks Hooch!

I actually consider that to be a disease...ha ha!

There's just something about getting an old Schwinn that is just grungy enough to make you say WOW :shock: after a few hours of steel wool and polish. I'm always amazed at how these bikes can be brought back to life.

Rat Rod said:
There's just something about getting an old Schwinn that is just grungy enough to make you say WOW :shock: after a few hours of steel wool and polish. I'm always amazed at how these bikes can be brought back to life.

Just think, if it weren't for one particular coppertone Schwinn treated to some steel wool & polish, this site wouldn't exist!

-Mp

its funny too I had been out of bikes for 3 years then was given a 41 scwhinn dx and found this place in its infancy....... now im drowning in bikes grrrrrrr to that copperone! lol

Can anyone suggest a good sissy bar size for this bike?

I've got a seat coming this week, but no bar. It's got 24" wheels.

100_3572.jpg

I would think the "standard" size would work. with the three holes at the bottom that mount on the axle

Man, this is making me think about that Hollywood sitting on the back patio...

I have a sissy bar on it, I'll measure it and let you know.

Lookin good!

Latest posts

Back