PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (GAVE IT BACK)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I recently acquired this one from a good friend of mine. Apparently the original owner's Father sold my friend this bike along with a Motomag in about the same condition. My friend was generous enough to pass it on to me and I'm going to clean it up the best that I can and then decide what to do from there. The big question is whether or not I should have the frame and fork refinished. Some have said that I will kill some of the value by having it powder coated. There is something cool about the worn look, but it may be just a bit too worn looking for my tastes.

The cool thing about this bike is that it's all original and the only missing parts are the rear Shimano Tourney brake caliper and a couple of spokes on the front wheel.

Here's what it would have looked like new...

teammongoose.png

Here's how the bike looked when I took possession of it this past weekend...

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Got it up on the stand and now I will begin the clean up process...

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Re: PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE

I like the frame as is.... but looks like some other parts could be replaced with a suitable match. Headset, BB, chain and freewheel for starters. Keep the old parts for the next owner. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cman said:
I like the frame as is.... but looks like some other parts could be replaced with a suitable match. Headset, BB, chain and freewheel for starters. Keep the old parts for the next owner. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's pretty much exactly what I did with my cooks.

btw, I have the big brother of that fork, and the sibling of that stem from the cooks purchase =)

I'd get some blue Duplicolor Metalcast "Ano in a can" and re-do it in it's original look.

318-metalcast.jpg

I'm all for patina but that's too far gone, I say redo it :wink:

I've got a guy locally who can strip the old paint and decals off and then powder coat candy blue over the nickle.

I'm still debating what to do with the forks. He does a powder chrome that almost looks like nickle so that might be an option too.

To do the frame and fork it's about $100.

Got the seat post out pretty easily...wondering if it's stainless like the handlebars.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Cool stamping on the post...

DSC_0002.jpg

OMG that is a killer score!!!!!!!!Yeah strip the old decals and clear blue off.Polish the nickle and have it resprayed clear candy blue then find all og stickers and put them back on.Dude im so jealous of that score right now!!!haha congrats

Got the frame and fork back from powder coating.

He blasted the frame and fork and then coated it in a chrome pc and then went over that with a candy blue translucent pc.

It's hard to tell from these pics, but it's pretty close to the original finish...only stronger. Cost $100 for the frame and fork to be done.

This pictures don't do this justice...

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

If anyone is interested in having something coated, contact Jacob with Ideal Coatings in Garland, Texas.

http://www.ideal-coatings.com

He does awesome work at great prices. :wink:

Re: PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (12-18 UPDATE)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :!:

Im sure after seeing it now you cant even comprehend how you considered not refinishing it.

That color is beautiful! My fixed gear is close to the same color but is in need of refinishing. I'll check him out. That price seems very reasonable.

holy cow that is beautiful now.

Thanks guys!

My biggest concern was whether the fork would turn out okay or not.

The oxidation was pretty bad, but he managed to get it all smooth with the help of a wire wheel on his bench grinder.

It's pretty much smooth as glass and you'd never even know that it had rust on it before.

Rat Rod said:
If anyone is interested in having something coated, contact Jacob with Ideal Coatings in Garland, Texas.

http://www.ideal-coatings.com

He does awesome work at great prices. :wink:

Never seen candy powder coating before and according to my powder coater I usually use, it doesn’t exist. :lol: Contacted Jacob this afternoon about powdering my Hutch Candy Red...Looks like I will be sending him my F&F next week sometime! Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back