PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (GAVE IT BACK)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (12-18 UPDATE)

That's awesome DN....Jacob has done good work off me. I quickly saw his candy red on a motorcycle wheel he had and it looked nice.

Chimi...those Motomags are staying on the Redline. Gotta keep the Araya 7b's on this build.

Re: PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (12-18 UPDATE)

The difficult thing about having a frame and fork freshly powder coated is that all of the rest of your parts need to look almost new so they don't stick out like a sore thumb. This bike spent some time outdoors so most of the components are pretty crusty. I guess if I was one of those people with way too much money I'd be out looking for all NOS components, but since I'm not, I'm forced to work with what I have.

I'm slowly getting it put back together. I just need Bill at BMX Products to send me a custom set of Team Mongoose decals. For some reason my bike seems to have a combo of decals from his two Team sets. Thankfully he's willing to put together whatever you need.

I need to get a wire wheel for my bench grinder so that I can go over this crusty rusty Shimano freewheel. It still spins freely and clicks like new, but the outside is very rusty.

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0006-3.jpg

Re: PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (12-18 UPDATE)

Rat Rod said:
The difficult thing about having a frame and fork freshly powder coated is that all of the rest of your parts need to look almost new so they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

This is the start of how you can sink way too much in a resto project! I think it all looks fine! Keep up the good work!

Are you going to snag a moto mag chain wheel for pork chop? I've been trying to find a reason to buy one!

Re: PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (12-22 UPDATE)

Ha Ha...nah, I'll be using the original Dura Ace cranks.

My goal is to keep it as original as possible....minus the powder coat and decals.

DSC_0023.jpg

Re: PROJECT 79' TEAM MONGOOSE (12-27 UPDATE)

Well, I decided to sell the bike back to my friend who gave it to me for what I had into it.

It was coming along nicely, but I'm afraid I just wouldn't have been able to come up with the money needed to finish it right.

My friend had experienced a bit of regret after letting it go so I was glad to get it back to him and will enjoy seeing him finish it up.

I also got a little greedy when I jumped on the GT Mach One and the Redline MX-II a few weeks after I got the Mongoose.

I had to go outside the "Bike Budget" money to make that deal happen and I've owed the house ever since.

The good news is that I still have the GT and the Redline and the budget is all balanced again. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back