PROJECT 83 HUTCH PRO RACER BMX (4/13)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Starting the overhaul of the 82/83 Hutch Pro Racer I picked up this week. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37698

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Began the tear down process today...this should look familiar to some. :wink:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

I let all the greasy parts soak in Simple Green over night and then blasted them off with the hose today...

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Before...

DSC_0020.jpg

Someone got a little carried away while tightening the rear wheel at some point... :(

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Sprayed a little Westly's Bleach White on the grips and they brightened up a bit...

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Before...

DSC_0016.jpg

Next step is to wax the frame and fork, clean up the spokes with a little 0000 steel wool and then start the reassembly process. ;)

Re: PROJECT 83 HUTCH PRO RACER BMX

Gotta love that Hutch chrome :mrgreen: *bling bling* Can`t wait to see the finished product.

Yeah, the owner of ratrodbikes.com doesn't even like doing rats :lol: :lol: I like your bikes anyway Steve :wink: I like this frame with the looptail droputs :shock:

A Hutch Pro Racer was my first high end BMX bike back in 1984 or 85. It was amazing how much better I did with a good light weight bike compared to my heavy Mongoose with Tuff Wheels. I had white Z rims and CW bars on mine. I loved that bike but ended up trading it for a Suzuki Enduro motorcycle. I wish I had kept it. I actually wish I had kept all of my bikes. Oh well. Live and learn. I may try and build up a Hutch like the one I had one of these days. Seeing this inspires me.

Rat Rod said:
oldschoolcolo said:
gotta get some $3K aerospeed cranks for it.

Ha Ha...I think I'll keep it as is. :lol:

yeah. I have a Hutch XL24 I picked up at police auction for $60. Put some nice Shimano 600s on it not. No $3K cranks for me, either. :D

Re: PROJECT 83 HUTCH PRO RACER BMX (3/20)

Your OCD turned out another beautiful bike. Better than new.

But I just can't help it........ the front valve stem is crooked. :wink: :wink:

cman said:
Your OCD turned out another beautiful bike. Better than new.

But I just can't help it........ the front valve stem is crooked. :wink: :wink:

I know...trust me, every time I put a tire on a wheel I think of you. :lol:

I messed with that thing 4 or 5 times and then just gave up. It was the last thing I did so I was tired and didn't want to fool with it anymore.

Justin (Porkchop) is coming out with some new Snakebelly skinwalls very soon so I'll probably pick up a set and swap them out when he gets them in.

Yeah...these FitBikeCo tires are almost white walls.

Justin's Snakebelly tires will look more like the real deal.

You certainly do have "The Magic Touch" :mrgreen: Looks great :wink:

looking so goooood !
Thats come up great , original oakleys aswell :shock: , nice find .
I had a frame shipped over from usa , built it up didnt really use it so sold to my friend and he used to race on it untill he tried to clear some triple's landed hard and it ripped itself apart . he's ok now :)
I would love a torker cruiser frame nforks to build .

Stick a fork in it...well, at least until Porkchop comes out with the repop Snakebellys in the Fall.

DSC_0006-3.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0004-3.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0032-2.jpg

Now...if I was just a foot shorter, 60 pounds lighter and 27 years younger. :lol:

Latest posts

Back