Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black gel coat is in and waiting for some fiberglass! The extension bolted to the mold will add 1" to each side making the tank 2" wider when it's done. This will increase the fuel capacity and give me some extra room to fit it over the frame.

101_3298.jpg

101_3301.jpg

Curious about the amount fuel capacity? The rule of thumb is approximately 1 ounce of fuel equals 10 miles.

Time in the saddle on a 2 stroke is about 25 miles, before the comfort dissipates.

Curious about the amount fuel capacity? The rule of thumb is approximately 1 ounce of fuel equals 10 miles.

Time in the saddle on a 2 stroke is about 25 miles, before the comfort dissipates.
08a82c5bdfc4f75009c97efcab2421dd.jpg
HEY WATCH IT MISTER...KIDS COULD BE READING THIS...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Given those perameters I probably could've kept the tank at the normal size.:rolleyes:

I'm too deep now to turn back, here's the first layer of glass...
101_3304.JPG
101_3306.JPG
101_3307.JPG
101_3308.JPG

The tank is free from its bonds!

First the tank halves where removed from the original molds.
101_3310.JPG

101_3311.JPG

Then the one inch extensions to the molds where taken apart and separated from the tank halves. These had to be made in pieces otherwise they would be impossible to separate from the tank after the glass cured without having to cut something.
101_3315.JPG

101_3318.JPG

The next step will be to clean up the edges and start fitting them to the frame.

I'm very curious on how you add the gas tank to the TRM tank. Is it going to be incorporated as part of the tank pieces or will it be a separate inserted piece within the TRM tank?

@kingfish254 , the tank itself will be sealed together and a filler neck and bung will be added making it an actual fuel tank on it's own.

The halves lined up nicely after a session with a cut-off wheel and some sanding! For the first time I did all of the cutting for the frame openings with a jig saw followed by sanding and found that in many ways, it works easier than the drilling and hole saw method that I have done it the past.

Notice the step down in the added area from the original profile. This will provide space for bonding the halves with fiberglass while staying below the finished surface.
101_3351.jpg
101_3352.jpg
101_3354.JPG
101_3356.jpg

This is still in the easy stage, making it functional will require a lot more careful planning and work. The deadline is beginning to look very ominous.

MO FATTA
MO BETTA
I like the recessed middle sections for some cool TRM trimmings.

The fiberglass shop is shut down this week, so I focused my attention back to the engine mount.

I like to lay this stuff out on the computer first and then print it on adhesive paper to have a sharp guide for my old eyes to follow while cutting it out.
101_3368.JPG

101_3369.JPG

All of the pieces are made, bolted together and ready to weld to the frame. I doesn't look like it, but this took a lot of careful planning to get the pattern correct so that all of the bends in the bottom plate lined up with both the engine and the frame mounts.
101_3379.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work on the mounts.

Keep an eye on those isolators when you get it running. Not sure how much of a torque load those can handle. All that will be holding the motor is the chemical bond of the threaded parts to the rubber. They won't have much strength when pulled on.

Hate being a safety nazi.....:bigboss:.... but felt it was worth mentioning. Was hoping somebody else would bring it up actually...:p

I'm with you @Chad T ! Thanks for the concern.

This is an experiment and it may or may not work. I'm also concerned that the torque will cause the engine to move too much and create issues with the chain line. I should be able to tell pretty quick how well it will work and can replace the soft mounts with steel spacers if needed.

You could also run a bolt through the mount and the plate on the outside mounts as kind of a safety net? Just have a nylock nut or lock nut so it doesn't compress the rubber.

Loving the mad scientist aspect of this build.

You could also run a bolt through the mount and the plate on the outside mounts as kind of a safety net? Just have a nylock nut or lock nut so it doesn't compress the rubber.

Loving the mad scientist aspect of this build.
That's a really good suggestion, I will definitely explore that idea further . Thanks!

The mounts are tacked in place. I didn't want to commit to fully welding them in until I'm sure that everything will line up as planned. I feel pretty confident that it's right though.
101_3382.JPG
101_3384.JPG
101_3385.jpg
101_3386.jpg

Latest posts

Back