Project Ed (DONE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That can be arranged. Just depends on who wins our mini competition.:21:

I think we both need the event poster for our shops BUT!

If you win I'll make a trophy and send you an AVBS and Edison T shirt/sticker package.

If I win you have make another "winner" poster for me!

I just found this poster on RATILEAKS

avbs.jpg

I think we both need the event poster for our shops BUT!

If you win I'll make a trophy and send you an AVBS and Edison T shirt/sticker package.

If I win you have make another "winner" poster for me!

I accept your challenge good sir. May the best fuel win.
Mark_Twain_and_John_T_Sellers.jpg

It's on!

Here is where I believe you can either go off the rails or hit the nail on the head.

Handlebars have kept me up at night for two months now.

This is the second option I have tried and I'm liking the look so far. These are stock Roadmaster bars and they are known for their wide half moon shape. Something about these sit well with my eyes.

Now do I paint them and the crank set black? Or leave them original...

79f6c80042eb4e9a8a5aa8269d89fc54.jpg

bf67f591b00fb1395ba3c52a6123bdd9.jpg

b3c3743da8ed8f388a364c856466bafe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a thought on your bars/crank.....either go with painting them or try scuffing them up and 'rub' them with black/brown paint. Like an 'oil rubbed' finish. Something between the look of the beehive and the rusty rims.

Just thinking out loud....

Looks great!
I'd say leave them, you need a little variety of finishes to keep things balanced. You can have too much of a good thing if your not careful. If they didn't already have a nice patina it would be fair game. However, you could probably paint them with some cheep flat black rattle can paint to see if you like it and if you don't, then wash it back off with paint thinner.

BTW, that's exactly what I had in my head when we were talking about it.

Looks great!
I'd say leave them, you need a little variety of finishes to keep things balanced. You can have too much of a good thing if your not careful. If they didn't already have a nice patina it would be fair game. However, you could probably paint them with some cheep flat black rattle can paint to see if you like it and if you don't, then wash it back off with paint thinner.

BTW, that's exactly what I had in my head when we were talking about it.

Better idea....

Weathered old chrome. If it was a "war years" built bike I could see the reason for the blackout. But I think it's a newer bike from the rear drop outs alone. It's a thing I struggled with too, mine being a 44' and I have some of the blacked out parts it came with, but wanted the chrome. Yours looks good with the mix, black for the utility and chrome for the flash.

Carl.

Nothing's wrong with a little flash in the pan . You may need it as a destination on this rivalry come race day ...
The Bike is looking great love them tires .

I'm with the 'leave the hardware parts in their original condition' crowd. They look like they came that way....so as I was told by a member here...."they're only original once".

I agree on the complimentary effect they have with the white paint and black tires, grips, pedals, etc. RaT oN!

Nothing's wrong with a little flash in the pan . You may need it as a destination on this rivalry come race day ...
The Bike is looking great love them tires .

I've been trying to find a way to "kustomize" the tires so they are not so walmarty...

Thinking about some small lettering on them, like old race tires. Maybe firestone or something.

I've been trying to find a way to "kustomize" the tires so they are not so walmarty...

Thinking about some small lettering on them, like old race tires. Maybe firestone or something.

I saw videos on YouTube on how to make vinyl stencils stick to tires while researching for my rebels cause build, might check on them.
Could use stencils and dye or paint, then peel off stencil.
Maybe put the A.V.B.S or something on there.

I don't think the pictures do these bars justice. The patina is killer. Found them at a swap many years ago and snagged them because of the patina alone.

What's your concern about the tires? Too 'shiny new'? Before doing any lettering, maybe hit the sidewall and the edge of the tread with some 0000 steel wool soaked in rubbing alcohol....

You could apply a redline between the whitewall and the black, and if it's too shiny new take it out for a spin. Nothing like some real road dust to match up to the weathered old chrome.

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back