Project "eNVy"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjperry81

Gem City Strongman
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, ive been on the site for about a month now asking questions on how to get started and the basic noob stuff. I bought my first project about 3 weeks ago. Its a 50's model Evans. Not real sure the exact model but based on the completeness and stock condition it appears to be a Viscount model based on the chain guard shape but I have yet to varify that yet. Ive been taking pics along the way and thought I would finally start a build thread. Here it is the way it looked when I picked it up:

f5942620.jpg

8ac1f784.jpg

I stripped it down to the frame. Im new to all this so it took me some time but I learned alot about this bike by doing it. Heres the stripping and cleaning process.

Half way through the frame:
3f1c2ca4.jpg

Clean and ready for some primer:
3d123456.jpg

Because I have no idea what im doing and im trying to keep my costs down on this first bike I decided to rattle can the whole thing. This is redneck but this is what I rigged up in order to paint it at my house. Some people call it at swingset but I call it a paint booth now lol.

New swing prototype:
94c5c119.jpg

Optimus Primered:
c4fb8a73.jpg

Here are the stock fenders that came on the bike. They are kind of cool because they are squared a little and the truss rods are tapered kinda like a broad sword. But they are super flimsy and have seen better days.

96bbd44d.jpg

Managed to score these great looking fenders off and old english 3 speed my mom had in the back of her garage. I will probably try and replicate the tapered truss rods from the original fenders though because its a unique look.

5c7fadf8.jpg

Bama Bill said:
Be sure those 3sp fenders match the contour of the tires you will use.

Im totally new at this. So how do I know if they match? Now im all worried about the lines of the bike and whether it will all match.

"Looks right, is right" as my annoying boat boss used to say. You are the one to whom it must look right! I think what was meant is that the gap between the tire and fender looks even all the way around. The fenders have some give and you can bend the stays a little to bring an end in or out. Cool bike!

Thanks to advice from you all I decided to use a vinegar bath and SOS pads to remove all the gummed up crap off the sproket. Here is a before and after. I was really proud I was able to get this kind of result on my first try.

Before:
5b015847.jpg

After:
65e9671e.jpg

Been working my way through the rattle can painting process and its going way better than expected. Heres a shot of the fork. No longer crusty and sporting the homemade stripe by the previous owners. A nice satin black now!

f6ef8bda.jpg

Kind of intimidated by this part of the project. Unlacing the orginal wheels. Once I get them apart I will have to tackle the hub which is even more intimidating for my first build. Heres a quick shot of them as they sit, pre breakdown.

101824ff.jpg

PLEASE don't tell you me you got that Evans off Craigslist? I would kick myself if I missed that one! I think the fenders and rear rack totally make that bike. I would try to reuse them if it were me. They aren't the run of the mill pieces you see on most bikes. Just my $.02 anyway!

Nice job on the frame so far and don't sweat the wheels. Look up how to lace wheels on YouTube and you'll find a video or two that should help you out.

Terry

Terry66 said:
PLEASE don't tell you me you got that Evans off Craigslist? I would kick myself if I missed that one! I think the fenders and rear rack totally make that bike. I would try to reuse them if it were me. They aren't the run of the mill pieces you see on most bikes. Just my $.02 anyway!

Nice job on the frame so far and don't sweat the wheels. Look up how to lace wheels on YouTube and you'll find a video or two that should help you out.

Terry

Sorry, but yes I got this off Craigslist. lol It was on the Dayton, OH craigslist about a month and a half ago. Yeah the gutter style fenders are kinda wild and the rear rack is a nice look. They are real industrial looking. Im actually not going to use those on this build but im keeping them close by and want to use them on another build with a little more industrial style look. Besides the fenders are kinda dinged up and its way over my head for my first project. Although I am going to replicate some of the look like the fender struts because they have a broad sword style taper to the end of them which is totally awesome.

Finally getting time to update my maiden build. I took the wheels apart and stripped them and primed them. Im half way through with the neon green paint job im giving them. Note to anyone who cares....rustoleum neon green sprays like garbage. So i have alot of work left to make them look good but here is a look at start to almost finish when the wheels.

101824ff.jpg

Super Crusty!
53f37107.jpg

69d82f9b.jpg

Strip the best I could
1b3484c8.jpg

Optimus Primered on the swingset again.
1d165ab4.jpg

Being my first build i have no idea how to take apart and rebuild a rear hub but everyone said it was a must so I gave it a run. Its not all the way done but thanks to user Udallcustombikes its been much easier than I thought. I have a Perry B-100 hub and he has a thread on how to redo the whole thing step by step. Ive run into some issues where I didnt have the right tools so I needed help but im back on track. After soaking the hub in gas the things can come apart much easier and its shined right up with the help of an old toothbrush. Heres my break down so far.

b7d2bc4e.jpg

a95104e8.jpg

52fb0184.jpg

883c8cc8.jpg

edb08c35.jpg

Still tinkering my way through the rear hub with the help of you guys. I decided today to go ahead and do a little mock up to keep my spirits up on this bike. Heres where im at.

IMG_1465_zpsadf5801c.jpg

IMG_1464_zps7a29ad75.jpg

Latest posts

Back