project Firebird 455 SD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got an Evans-Colson (54/55) frame that i bought off a member at "thecabe"

cf259f15-d8d6-4049-a4cb-f182c1fa4c7c_zps2decb702.jpg

I had been looking for one of these frames ever since I found out that Evans-Colson hired Harley Earl studios to design their bikes for them and their top of the line bike in 54/55 just happens to be the same name as my favorite car
"The Firebird"

61619-web_zps83c41270.jpg

The Design:
To build this bike using the 1973 Firebird Trans Am 455 SD as my inspiration

2222ta_zps727f5163.jpg

I had already started saving some small parts but was holding off on starting a thread until i acquired the frame
these pics i took today when the frame arrived
I did a quick mock to show the general direction I plan on going with the build

100_0427_zps7bd983bf.jpg

100_0429_zps044a97b0.jpg

100_0430_zpsa7c21416.jpg

The Parts: (as of now)
post 1955 Evans-Colson rear rack
24 x 3 rear / 26 x 2.125 wheel/tire combo
Hawthorne 3 spoke sprocket
Disc brake in front (not pictured)
stretched Sears Rat Trap springer
(closet forks i could afford that match the early version of the Evansaction a.k.a glorified Colson Cushioner)
Got them in a trade I did with forum member CWC

Closeup pics of rear
100_0428_zpscf1f38af.jpg

24 x 3 tires fit without need for widening (used a nirve fat @$S for sizing reference)

100_0435_zps8a8c7a1b.jpg

The Plan:
Grind down what remains of the seat post tube so it's flush with the frame
Eventually have most of the parts powder coated in the closet color i can find to Pontiac's buccaneer red
Figure out if i want to use ape hangers or another type of handlebar
hook the nexus 4 speed to a N.O.S trans am shifter on the frames down tube
find somewhere to mount some of that gorgeous machine turned aluminum found in trans am dashes (see pic below)
*If the Higgins ladies skirt guards do fit then I will work on attaching them directly to the rear rack*

The remaining parts: (needed)

54/55 Evans-Colson Tank
Dyno Fireball tread 24 x 3 rear tires / 26 x 2.125 front
Nexus internal 4 speed hub
Sun doublewide rims (or similar wide rims)
Higgins fender skirts and chain guard
black Troxel long spring seat

In case your wondering why i'm not using any of the sprockets that mimic mag wheels
I find the 3 spoke sprocket with holes is very similar to the firebirds steering wheel

0307pon_07z1973_SD_455_Trans_AmInterior_View_Steering_Wheel_zpsc99c758f.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome start. It would be cool if you could engine turn the tank. Or maybe fab some aluminum panels to mount on the sides of the tank. Or fab a speedo mount out if aluminum and engine turn it to hold a speedometer. You can also get vinyl that looks line engine turned aluminum and maybe incorporate that some how?

by Zumo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:21 am

Awesome start. It would be cool if you could engine turn the tank. Or maybe fab some aluminum panels to mount on the sides of the tank. Or fab a speedo mount out if aluminum and engine turn it to hold a speedometer. You can also get vinyl that looks line engine turned aluminum and maybe incorporate that some how?

Thanx for the ideas however i can't engine turn the entire tank and aluminum panels are out since i will be doing a side profile firebird logo (similar to my avatar pic) with trailing flames

However i may be able to run an aluminum panel on the chain guard or paint it in turned silver leaf to simulate the affect

As for fabricating a speedo mount i need to look into possible design ideas
but another idea i have for now is to use an aluminum bmx gooseneck
grind it flat and engine turn that

im doin a gto judge firestone bike im getn ready to paint it in a few weeks judge orange I did sum engine turning to it also and I used sum wire mesh in places alao a 24x3 and 26x2.125 on chrome 144 spoke rims and orginal gto emblems and the same rat trap spring fork racked out also

I see it's true what they say great minds think alike :idea:
I would love to see some pictures either in progress :) or once its done

How did this Evans build turn out in the Monark?
I see you have another cool build going in the Winter Build off with the same parts list....
Both cool builds to be sure.

Its been a long while since I was able to get the correct evans rack for this build
Now that i was able to get the rack off the later 50's firebird evans and a fender too (trimmed to be in line with the rear rack support) i can get moving along with this build again
currently using a gt style piston stem but may change that later
50066116846_6a80e18290_b.jpg

Wow! As a card carrying Pontiac fanatic, I approve of this build!

My credentials:
10D8CCF1-3178-4CB2-BA42-0D92ED3D2D52.jpeg

The SD-455 Trans Am is The Holy Grail of the Firebirds.
- Ram air heads. Lots of compression. Oye!

Last edited:
Love your profile pic, if they made two big matching feet, Id be making pedals with them.

In the meantime enjoy
My 6.6, its a little too heavy,
for a big balls ford or a 350 Chevy

I saw Sammys car about 30 years ago at an Oakland roadster show. Its now up for sale
BA251835-5839-47CA-8A9E-1BE623629105.jpeg

Last edited:
The only bad thing about the TA 455 SD was those honeycomb wheels that were stock on some of them. Small concession to make when you consider the engine you are getting.

That curved rack and rear fender combo screams Dragster to me. Do they make a 26 inch slick? I also like the flipped brackets on the fork. Looks way better to me

Latest posts

Back