Project POS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Project POS

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentleman. My name is Chad Smith and I am from Knoxville, TN. I just joined the board about a month ago after taking interest back in my childhood passion of playing with bikes.

Anyways...let's move on to the bike build.

I found a 1960s AMF Roadmaster Skyrider. I came across it in a barn after looking at a collection an elderly lady had of old bicycles that her deceased husband had restored. She had some really nice bikes, but I was and still am broke and couldn't afford anything she had restored. She was a real cool lady so I asked if her husband had anything laying around, that might be lower priced. She said sure and took me back into a barn where I found 10 or so girls bikes and 2 boys bikes. The bicycle I purchased from her was marked with a tag(something you would see stuck on like at yardsale) "AMF Skyrider 1965 $75.00." I asked to buy it she priced it. I was happy and we move forward. And now you know the meaning behind the project's name.

When I bought the bike, it had crappy Japanese seat, missing headlight, worn logos, flat dry rotten tires and tubes, Taiwan gold grips and various other crap that just made it cool.

Pics of the bike shortly after I purchased it.
bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

As you can see, I had my LBS Greenlee's Bicycle Shop put some 26x1.75 white walls with tubes on it just to assess how and what kind of shape the bicycle was in. David and Doc, at Greenlee's loved the old piece, and it had really started to grow on me as well. It rode pretty decent but I was torn at the time on what to do with it. Should I completely restore it? Or should I just resto rat bike it? Or should i just rat it all the way? I knew the bike wasn't worth much nor would it ever be worth much so I decided to build a resto rat bike out of it. Mix new with the vintage and retain that veteran look but get it looking half way respectable and most importantly road worthy.

After the tires, I realized that the old spokes were beat and out of true and the crank was bent. What to do next? Until next time....

I am thinking ape hangers for the bars. Not something super huge. Just a regular length. Keep the paint vintage, maybe some classic von dutch style pinstriping. Obviously, replace rims, crank and any other worn, broken, bent parts. New pedals. Something NOS like bow pedals to replace the plastic white reflector pedals. Headlight and tailight. Keep with the space age look. I love the peaked fenders but I can't for the life of me find a headlight that will bolt on that maintains the correct look. Maybe classic lowrider style it. Ideas?

Nice start,I have a tank just like that,I found the bike it goes with in my local backyard bicycle guys pile..But he wants a little much for it.
I'll come across something he just has to have one day soon enough....

Welcome to BO7.
I really like the tank and fender on that. Shame it doesn't have the star ring.
Rat it with apes. That would be a cool look for that bike.

Welcome to the jungle!! Get ta Buildin'!! Peace

Welcome to the build off, I recenlty saw one of those little tanks locally, I need to go find that thing.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

The Freaky Bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

Latest posts

Back