Project Purple - No longer a project.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Late to the party as usual... :roll:

Anyway, some of you may remember my 1965 violet Varsity build from 2010.
(Thread here)
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30169&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=violet+varsity

Well, I found another one, mostly complete and a bit rusty, in a smaller frame.
IMG_0686.jpg

A recent find of an NOS fork in the correct size and color gave me the incentive to start this thing. I should have enough parts to make it into a fun rider and get it done in time for the build off deadline.

Stay tuned!
IMG_0691.jpg

Re: Project Purple

Awesome, never knew they came in that color.
Welcome to BO7!!!!!

911325-1-one-eyed-one-horned-flying-purple-people-eater.jpg

One eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater!!

Peatbog said:
Have fun building. I have to watch this one come together. I like Varsities. I actually had a story published once about the Varsity my dad bought me. That was my first bike I ever had with multiple speeds. My brother and I spent hours and hours and hours speeding around Carlisle, Pennsylvania on our Varsities.

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm only 20 minutes from Carlise! Some of the bikes in my collection were found at the car shows there over the years. 8)

Peatbog said:
I lived there from about 1970 to about 1973 or so when I was in the 5-8th grade. The cars shows at that time weren't what they are today!

Hey Peat, do you remember an ice cream and candy shop called Johnny's? We used to ride our bikes there all the time.

Today a box arrived from the good people at Porkchop BMX. It contained my crankbolts and a set of purple alloy Victor pedals...

IMG_0697.jpg

I love how they wrapped everything in pages from a newspaper called "Busted" which contains mugshots of local folks who had recently, um - misbehaved... :roll:

These NOS Shimano thumbies came today as well. An eBay purchase that ended up costing little more than just buying cables. Deals are still out there! Funny that the seller left me feedback #500 which earned me a *purple* star!

IMG_0699.jpg

They weren't wrapped in any mugshots but I included them in the photo anyway... :lol:

Peatbog said:
I do remember the donut shop that was close by the bike shop where I got my Varsity.

You probably got your bike at Cole's. As far as I know, they are still in business. The shop was run by a nice group of people too. I used to work the local MS 150 bike ride with Len Cole and his wife back in the early 1990's

NOS fork. I think it even has a the correct date code.
IMG_0694.jpg

I'm using a King Sting spindle instead of a 3 piece BB adapter. (also because I had one in the parts bin.) They setup is heavy but I can use the original bottom bracket set and the whole thing will be pretty much indestructible. A Sturmey Archer 3 speed clamp will handle the cable stop duties for the front derailleur.
IMG_0701.jpg

Here's where we are so far. Project Purple's big brother looks on in the background.
IMG_0704.jpg

I do like that color!!

I also got a kick out of your "BUSTED" news paper background.

It's now to the point where it's rideable. Time to get the bugs out of it before I add any "bling"... :)

IMG_0706.jpg

18 speed drivetrain. This derailleur was made from three different ones and seems to work well.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

The new thumbies work fine. The adjustable stem is flexy and unattractive but will have to do until I find a nicer one.

IMG_0709.jpg

That is really a good looking bike man!!!!

kingfish254 said:
That is really a good looking bike man!!!!

Thanks Kingfish! The bike is coming along nicely. I have another adjustable stem on order that should get the bars just where I want them. I'll add a few other accessories and shiny trinkets and the bike should be good to go. Mrs. kingsting already claimed the bike as her own so I probably won't be the one who rides it. :p

I ordered a different adjustable stem and it came yesterday. The plain black finish wasn't cutting it so a little silver and candy paint will fix it right up.

IMG_0711.jpg

The stem put the bars right where I wanted them.

IMG_0713.jpg

NOS Exage 300 derailleur and cable stop detail.

IMG_0714.jpg

As it sits now. I added a Pletscher style "rat trap" rack. Since this will be a rider, the rack will come in handy. Next up will be a different saddle, bars, and possibly a fender.

IMG_0715.jpg

I would guess from the tag that it is a 56. I ain't no expert though, even though I did build a hot rod 55 Chevy model as a kid.

55ChevSlotCaratCreekline1.jpg

This little slice of beauty arrived today:

IMG_0716.jpg

It's my shorty fender from woodysfenders.com. The purpleheart accents will go well with the bike. I would love to do a build around a full set of these fenders.

Re: Project Purple - time to add some bling!

That wood fender is beautiful.

Re: Project Purple - time to add some bling!

bike2112 said:
Is that a glitter pink chainstay protector??? This bike is awesome. That color is really cool.

Yep! Made from flashy tape that's used to dress up fishing lures. Works great and comes in a bazillion different colors and patterns. I have it on a lot of bikes.

Before - Eewwww... Nasty and chippy:
IMG_0695.jpg

After - Yaaaayy! Sparkles!:
IMG_0696.jpg

Latest posts

Back