Protowrxs "MB Racer" Done 11/24/2007

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished Thread is Here

A little different approach and just for fun on this one.

I had planned on using the rear end off this old mountain bike for a soft tail chopper but after seeing this build off thought I'd do something different.

So what can you do with a junk mountain bike in a Rat Rod forum? I don't know but it should be fun.

Here is the bike as is.. it was a garage sale pickup that didn't have any derailers. I started to put it back together as a MTB but lost interest.
P0003704_small.jpg

The full text can be found here:
http://www.StephenNolen.com/Bikes/MBRacer

Pulling the shock off and replacing the front shock forks and bars looks like this. It is a basic feel for how I want the bike to look. Similar to an old vintage race motorcycle.

P0003719_small.jpg

I dropped on some whitewalls and a fork that actually fits (the bike uses a 1 1/8" steerer, the orange fork was a 1"). Still debating on a seat style as well. I put about five different ones I had on and this seems the best.
P0003729_small.jpg

I plan on running some side plates out of 22ga steel to cover the messy middle and put a number on. This is a cardboard mock up of the plate to get the layout.
P0003732_small.jpg

Here is a front view that shows the funky idea of a fork add on. Not sure if this will make it onto the bike but it needs something up front to me.

P0003735_small.jpg

Just to get an idea of what a number looks like on the side place I rattle canned one on. I hope I do better on the final version... :wink:
P0003736_small.jpg

I'm thinking gloss black with white and red trip at the moment.

Man it gets dark too early already.
-Stephen

I love how you and others are shedding new light on what you can do with newer dept. store bikes.

It's looking cool so far!

Vixsan took the words right outta my fingers! :p
Winter's coming on, so drive some 3" spikes thru the tires and make a Russian ice racer (as we called them back in the day!) Looking forward to the progress and completion of this monster! Wicked stance!

i Like speedway it's i relatively big sport in sweden :D As i'm just now looking at speed way i see that they have fender struts on the front wheel similar to the rods on your fork, but on the side facing the frame. I think that would be cool if you did that, meaning putting the rods on the back of the fork instead!

VicXsaN said:
i Like speedway it's i relatively big sport in sweden :D As i'm just now looking at speed way i see that they have fender struts on the front wheel similar to the rods on your fork, but on the side facing the frame. I think that would be cool if you did that, meaning putting the rods on the back of the fork instead!

Hmm.. hadn't thought of it that way. Can you point me to any pics?? It's just an old OCC sissy bar that I'm using so I think I should be able to flip it.

Thanks!
-Stephen

Thanks for the comments and ideas folks!
Did a little more work on the project.

Cut the side plates out of some sheet metal...
P0003749_small.jpg

Made a seat post spacer to use the curved old handlebar for a setback and cleaned up the seat to get rid of the 'Huffy' logo...
P0003739_small.jpg

Pulled the large ring gear off (well drilled out the fake allen bolts that is) and test fit the side plates and started 'de-stickering'...
P0003754_small.jpg

I know real speedway bikes do not have brakes but I'm not that crazy. I have an old brake handle and thumb shifter that will be used on the bars. I figure if it really was a racer those would be easy to get to.

VicXsaN suggested flipping the front truss/rods to the back of the fork. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow!

More pics and info here:
http://www.stephennolen.com/Bikes/MBRacer

-Stephen

No spring on this one though.. Had to remove it to get it lower and with rules on modifying the frame I couldn't relocate the top mount. Still fun though.

VicXsaN - I couldn't wait to swap the fork truss, thingy, dealy....
P0003757_small.jpg

Looks better to me AND it was easier to mount!

Thanks for the idea!!
-Stephen

Stephen that's one of the most unique designs yet. Cool bike! You really captured the Flat tracker/ice racer look.

Aaron

Protowrxs said:
No spring on this one though.. Had to remove it to get it lower and with rules on modifying the frame I couldn't relocate the top mount. Still fun though.

VicXsaN - I couldn't wait to swap the fork truss, thingy, dealy....
P0003757_small.JPG

Looks better to me AND it was easier to mount!

Thanks for the idea!!
-Stephen

No prob, happy to help and give tips and ideas!! That looks great! Really love this build! Keep on building this bad-... machine!

speedway.jpg

That's what I meant, this is a older speedwaymotorcycle, but it has the same style fender-struts i meant!

Update 10/20/2007

Well as normal the plan is morphing as time moves along.

Just an artsy shot as the sun was going down...
P0003787_small.jpg

I guess I've given up on the original fork idea. I picked these up from my local bike shop. They had been in there a long time just hanging around.
P0003768_small.jpg

I also picked up some old block style pedals from the LBS. Surprised they had these in 9/16. I swapped the pedal arms as well. The 170mm units were suicidal being way close to the ground. These are 140mm off a 20 MTB. Keeps you from hitting your chin with your knee when you ride the low position too.. lol
P0003774_small.jpg

I am still messing with seat ideas. This is off the old English bike I picked up recently. Looks pretty cool on this. I have tried about 10 seats and still haven't decided which will be final. I also went ahead and swapped the rear tire for a true rear that is slightly flatter than the ribbed front.
P0003780_small.jpg

About ready to blow apart for cleaning and paint. I was going to go with a black/white with red trim. With the new forks I may have to leave some aluminum polished instead of while?? Still deciding.
P0003783_small.JPG

I rode it several times this past week and it rides just fine. I am surprised how light it is being mostly aluminum.
-Stephen

Latest posts

Back