Psycho Truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always liked cycle trucks, but they were either storefront displays or way too expensive. So I'll take my 5 dollar Dahon and make it a truck of some kind. No welding or cutting, but I'll try to keep up.

This is from the day I bought it at the rummage sale. I haven't done anything except put old white tires on it.:

1zgh1h.jpg

I'm thinking of using the rear triangle off a triax full suspension frame. I saw some pics where it looked like it bolted right up to the dropouts of another frame, using the crank spindle on the triangle as a mount. Then all it needs is a support for the spring.

It can't be that easy. Anyone done this?

Then I've got to decide whether I want 5 speeds or 2. Probably 5 because of the chain tensioner.

Wildcat said:
I'm thinking of using the rear triangle off a triax full suspension frame. I saw some pics where it looked like it bolted right up to the dropouts of another frame, using the crank spindle on the triangle as a mount. Then all it needs is a support for the spring.

It can't be that easy. Anyone done this?
never done it but theres only one way to find out :wink:

His-N-Hers

Well, I laid it out, and it would have fit together with the triangle, but the frame is to narrow where the chain travels. I would have to bend it or notch it to get clearance. It being a small frame to start with, and a folder, I think that will cause more problems resulting in the ultimate scrapping of the whole thing. The idea was to add the triangle and a 26" rear wheel giving it suspension, keeping the 20" front wheel and adding a box or basket, then a rear fender to give it a cycle truck look. I had a couple of other things to add to finish it out, but I don't think it would ride well if I messed with the frame.

So, name and bike change.

His-N-Hers

I've got 2 Raleigh 3 speeds, both with coaster brakes, that will provide the parts for my entry.

This one of them. The other is a silver women's version of the same bike.
25kjsx3.jpg

Should I start a new thread, or continue this one with the second entry?

Good to see other old English bikes as a start.......Doing a tandem?

Yes a bike that will allow 2 to ride, but the configuration is still in the planning stage.

I've got three ideas percolating right now. One is a matching sidecar that could be pedaled and look like Raleigh made it back then. Two would be a trailer type tandem that would have the rear bike trail behind like those kid tagalong things. The tough part there is the connection to the front bike, it would have to articulate because of the 3 wheels. Third would be a quad, connecting the bikes together side by side.

good luck on your truck im trying to build a truck to well if eather one of us brake down we can tow each other

I'll use two whole bikes, so it'll still be a truck, and have 2 riders. No welding, and low budget.

The english bike frame's tubing is too thin for the stress my idea has, so it'll keep the same configuration, just use heavier frames. This matching pair of Emory bikes will be used:

11r3goy.jpg

It just ain't meant to be. I can't get anything done when I plan it, and it's the same thing here again. I had a couple that want the matching Emorys. They are from the time the company started, mid 70's, so they are probably out of my garage and headed to a new home. I'll never have another 2 donor bikes in time.

I always have better luck when I throw something together at the last minute, without planning. Usually a marathon bike build that takes 2 days time.

Highboy substitute for Psycho Truck

Since the truck didn't pan out, I'd like to substitute an entirely different build.

I started this on November 6th. The Highboy. It's in the build thread section. Am I within the rules to do this?

Highboy

This is the bike, an old large beach cruiser.
2rgow0j.jpg

I'm going to make extended forks wide enough for 26x3 flames, and extend the rear dropouts to fit the rear tire and make it a single frame tallbike. That's the idea.
33uslk3.jpg

I planned on welding the forks and rear extensions yesterday, but the grand kids, putting up Christmas trees, and BBQing took priority. Next weekend for sure, to beat the deadline. I can get all the welding, and straightening of parts done and get it painted just in time. I just noticed the handlebars are bent.

I did get the wheels cleaned up and hubs lubed and ready. I'm liking these big tires more and more, I'll have to order a couple more pair. These are heavy duty wheels from an industrial bike, and I added a 22 tooth sprocket. With a 48 tooth drive sprocket, I think that will put my gear ratio just about right for the weight of the bike, extra height of the tires, and give more room for chain clearance. If not, I've got a 52 tooth drive sprocket.

25zi2km.jpg

The welding of the forks and rear extensions is done!

I still have to use the dremel to clean up the welds, then it's time to paint.

A little progress, got the forks painted and still need to clean up the welds on the frame. Looks like the ammo boxes will fit right in.
atkiue.jpg

1zmch9u.jpg

14cfog1.jpg

Latest posts

Back