Puppy Dog Tails

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My lovely wife and her '68 Schwinn Slik Chik are definitely sugar and spice, everything nice.

So to contrast all that sweetness, my bike will be a little more snips and snails, etc.

More to come.

furyus

I'll be re-using a few parts from builds past, such as this sprocket from my RRBBO8 bike. Difference is now it's been bead-blasted, primed and sprayed flat black. Still undecided on a few things, a fact that continually confounds my lovely wife. I'm notoriously fickle with my bike decisions. Guess I've pretty much decided this sprocket will be black, though.

Good luck and Godspeed with your projects.

furyus

Diabolical_Dork said:
That slik chik is sweet!

Thanks, man. My wife really digs it. Practically every little bit on it is vintage Schwinn, even hidden bits like inner tubes and all the bearings. To the untrained eye, it looks factory fresh, but for example, the seat came on Fair Lady models, not Slik Chiks. Doesn't matter, though. You'd fall over if you knew how much I have in this bike.

I was going to build a "matching" campus green '68, but decided that to contrast her bike would be a better "match." So I'm building the black '66 I've had around forever. It was to be my RRBBO 7 build, but I never finished it. The paint is a spray-bomb job someone did years ago (I've had the bike at least four years). Nearly all the bits on this bike are vintage Schwinn, too. Not a real complicated build - no fabrication - but a cool little ride nonetheless.

Here's a shot of the '66 frame, '77 Scrambler fork and '65 Sting-Ray crank set up...

I'm using a Tange headset in black...

The sprocket is the inner chain ring off of a '66 Varsity. The Chrome bolts held it to the outer chain ring. The chain is a stainless Wipperman from Germany.

Schwinn side-stamped S2 with a red-band Bendix hub and a Sting-Ray Slik, date code 1966.

I believe the black seat clamp is off a Scwinn bmx from the '80's. Not sure. The reflector supposedly comes from an old Sears bike. The reflector clamp is "borrowed" from one of my nephew's abandoned Chicom 16" bikes.

Nothing ground-breaking here; she's just a clean, simple musclebike. I've got a few more touches and she'll be done.

Thanks for checking her out.

furyus

Well, here's Puppy Dog Tails, 98% complete. Still have to tweak this and fiddle with that, and I may have an accessory to install, as long as it doesn't clutter things up. It probably will, so you're basically looking at my completed bike.

It's all simple bolt-on, and everything is vintage Schwinn, except for the reflector, Wipperman chain and Tange headset. Even the streamers are made from vintage Schwinn inner tubes.

Very basic muscle. Hope you dig it.

furyus

LukeTheJoker said:
Oh yeah! Love it! The discs on the back are the cool finishing touch! Looks like a fun ride! :D

Luke.

Thanks very much, Luke. It is a fun little bike. Definitely not nearly as outrageous as your rides, though. Good luck with your build.

furyus

furyus said:
...but for example, the seat came on Fair Lady models, not Slik Chiks.
I have that Fair Lady. Barn fresh 3 speed I'm going to restore for my daughter. She loves the seat. In fact, it's the reason I'm in this build-off. I found it, showed her, so scrapped the project I had in mind for her which was a custom 5-speed girls bike with a stick shift. So all those 5 speed parts I had are now going to Renegade 5. :mrgreen:

Here's the "find" thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76133&p=740384&hilit=fair+lady#p740384

CRASH said:
ok, back to your bike, it looks great. But I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with no black nanner. However, the Schwinn inner tube streamers was a stroke of genius! :lol:

Thanks, Crash. Couple reasons why I'm not running a banana seat. First and foremost, I need to run a tall seat post for some leg room, and at that height, banana seats tend to be wobbly with my 200 lbs parked on them. Bananas are very cool, but I've broken sissy bars in the past because of my weight. I'm using a thick post off of a '76 Schwinn XR-7 exercise bike - won't fold up on me. Secondly, I dig the look of a saddle and how it exposes the rear wheel rather than hiding under a seat. Guess that's what makes the world go 'round, right?

I checked out your Fair Lady and think it's a great find. Looks like it should clean up pretty easy. My wife loves her flowered seat. I gave her the choice of it or a mint solid green seat like what would've come originally on her Slik Chik. The flowered seat won hands down. I'm glad she chose as she did, because it looks great on her bike. Yours looks to still have nice color in the flowers.

Good luck with your builds. Campus green is my favorite Scwhinn color.

furyus

Latest posts

Back