Purple Reign GT Dyno Moto 29er Vids pg5, Beachin' pg6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dual personality, 29er klunker and 24/26 cruiser.

IMG_0462.jpg

Re: Purple Reign

Xcruiser said:
Thats a pretty tight frame man.
But really- Prince??? Purple Rain??? LOL just kiddin!
Its actually a cool name.

There's a GIant brand mtb called Reign also, so it all came together. Almost was gonna use this CWC I've had laying around for years, but noticed the lineup was lousy with CWCs this year, even cleaned it up a bit.

cwc_start.jpg

Post quick cleanup
cwc_cleaned.jpg

So it was back to the pile. Have had this Dyno Moto for about 4 years without touching it, but was starting to build another bike and went to use a 24/26 whellset I had forever and boom it's 130mm coaster hub spacing! Look around and the Dyno fits it.

So it'll take the 24x3 with room to spare
IMG_0604.jpg

As a plus the 26 part of the 24/26 wheelset also has a disc adapter and the Nirve triple tree I've used on several bikes has the tabs for it
IMG_0606.jpg

The Dyno will also take a 29er rim and tire, but I would need rims(most 29er rims 32H) and fork(suspension corrected 26er or non-corrected 29er) to make that happen plus new axle and spacers for the coaster hub. Could make it a convertible 29er Klunker/Cruiser though I probably have most everything already to do a 26er Klunker at least with a lot less trouble.
IMG_0605.jpg

I've been using the Voodoo suspension comp 29er fork from universal cycles for some conversions. It seems to be compensated for an 80mm 29er setup, comes in disc and disc & canti. I'll be trying it on a 26" frame in the next day or two, but the numbers work out well for replacing a 100mm 26. It worked great on the 29er walmart Genisis MTB to Bomber conversion.

LOVE Dyno bikes and frames... Can't wait to see what you build.

Is that Voodoo the 470mm A-C version? I'm looking for something less corrected around 410-420, so far the Surly 1x1 fork is looking to be it. I've got a pristine Morrow blackout hub I'd like to use but it's 36H and the rims I would use in pic are 32H. Would need about a 175mm axle to do it plus spacers to do it.

mrfritz said:
I've been using the Voodoo suspension comp 29er fork from universal cycles for some conversions. It seems to be compensated for an 80mm 29er setup, comes in disc and disc & canti. I'll be trying it on a 26" frame in the next day or two, but the numbers work out well for replacing a 100mm 26. It worked great on the 29er walmart Genisis MTB to Bomber conversion.

If you leave it purple (as the name implies) there are some members on this forum that are required to vote for purple bikes, all you gotta do is finish it.

yoothgeye said:
If you leave it purple (as the name implies) there are some members on this forum that are required to vote for purple bikes, all you gotta do is finish it.
So .... Get Ta Buildin'!! Peace

socal_jack said:
Is that Voodoo the 470mm A-C version? I'm looking for something less corrected around 410-420, so far the Surly 1x1 fork is looking to be it. I've got a pristine Morrow blackout hub I'd like to use but it's 36H and the rims I would use in pic are 32H. Would need about a 175mm axle to do it plus spacers to do it.

mrfritz said:

Looks like Universal is out of them. This is the fork I mean. http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-5221-voodoo-zombie-26-29-fork.aspx

I'll be happy to take some measurements on the one arriving today for you. Do you want me to look for a 36h rim? There are three recycle places here in Seattle and a lot of mountain bikes. The 29er front disk wheel I posted in another thread cost me $40 and although it was true from the start I did retention the spokes and will probably end up painting it (I want blue rims), though I think I could hide the few scratches with a sharpie.

I've read that the Surly fork is HARSH. That the Voodoo and Salsa are the ones the single speed MNT guys prefer due to the compliance. 175 seems pretty wide. Most bikes seem to fit in a 2.25-2.50 tire with an 8/9 spd cassette and disc brake in the common 135 dropout spacing.

Anyway, let me know if I can help.

mrfritz said:
socal_jack said:

mrfritz said:

Looks like Universal is out of them. This is the fork I mean. http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-5221-voodoo-zombie-26-29-fork.aspx

I'll be happy to take some measurements on the one arriving today for you. Do you want me to look for a 36h rim? There are three recycle places here in Seattle and a lot of mountain bikes. The 29er front disk wheel I posted in another thread cost me $40 and although it was true from the start I did retention the spokes and will probably end up painting it (I want blue rims), though I think I could hide the few scratches with a sharpie.

I've read that the Surly fork is HARSH. That the Voodoo and Salsa are the ones the single speed MNT guys prefer due to the compliance. 175 seems pretty wide. Most bikes seem to fit in a 2.25-2.50 tire with an 8/9 spd cassette and disc brake in the common 135 dropout spacing.

Anyway, let me know if I can help.

OH.. I do keep having fantasies of adding a girder to voodoo fork. I love the way the Jones fork looks and have heard nothing but good about them, though they are outside my price range.

tline_1.jpg

http://www.jonesbikes.com/timeline.html

Yep, it's staying purple, chose frames this years that wouldn't require painting, weather been too cool, humid, and windy last few years for the outdoor paint booth.

yoothgeye said:

Yeah, appreciate the measurement when you get a chance, I think they're all 470 now, I know they had shorter ones last year. Almost impossible to find the 500mm forks.

Was that the straight version of the 1x1 fork that you read was harsh? I need the curved leg version, but they're both pretty burly forks. Think I've got a line on a pair of Halo rims, snoozed on some Mavic TN719s on CL local listing though full wheelset at a good price.

Even the Jones in steel would be a great bike to have, but yeah Ti is what dreams are made of.

mrfritz said:

[/quote]

Anyway, let me know if I can help.[/quote]

OH.. I do keep having fantasies of adding a girder to voodoo fork. I love the way the Jones fork looks and have heard nothing but good about them, though they are outside my price range.

tline_1.jpg

http://www.jonesbikes.com/timeline.html[/quote]

I have got to find my Canon point & shoot, phone pics just blow. The blue GT Peace 9R in back has a 455mm AC, so 420-430 would be perfect on this, not jack the geometry too much.

IMG_0621.jpg

Re: Purple Reign - 29er mockup

Need to get home before dark for a better photo, remembered I had this old Nashbar fork which is 445mm A-C so I stole the wheels temporarily off my GT Peace 9R, standover is tight with this fork, definitely going for 420-430mm need all the room I can get for the boys. But the Dyno will work as a 29er! Found a KT coaster hub in 32H will use that so I can re-lace one of my WTB rims that has a crappy Shimano 525 hub, these should never have been used on 29ers, the pawls break under added torque load.

5cc7b173.jpg

AWESOME! BTW; My voodoo fork didn't arrive yesterday, I will post the measurements as soon as it does. My Peace has the Salsa fork.

Looking at a few more Origin-8 in the 430mm A-C looks pretty good

http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&short_code=Cromo-Lite+Combo+MTN+Fork&cl1=FORKS
28036.jpg

Gussett Jury in 425mm but I think there may be too much material between crown and bottom side of arch, Surly 1x1 in 413mm has that problem
also
http://www.gussetbikes.com/products-information.php?id=FKGUJD6K

fkgu-jury2-np-k.jpg

mrfritz said:
AWESOME! BTW; My voodoo fork didn't arrive yesterday, I will post the measurements as soon as it does. My Peace has the Salsa fork.

Def down with the 29er setup, really miss my jabberwocky, once my elbow fully heals (was broken and tore a bunch of ligaments so can't MTB right now) I plan on building up another 29er, really cool to see a klunkniner

Latest posts

Back