Put on my big boy pants today...1969 Fastback 5-speed w/ Ramshorns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ran to Kansas City tonight to pick this up after seeing it on Facebook Marketplace earlier in the week. I did all I could to hold back but it sucked me in:grin:. It appears to be all original but there are many guys on here that know way more than I do who will hopefully set me straight. Original rear slick has a small tear but I think it can be "fixed". Seat was a little beat down but ironically, a buddy found the seat you see here in an old house he was working on and had no use for it so he gave it to me a few weeks ago:13:. Not sure if the headlight was original or an accessory but it appears to all be there including the generator. Not sure what the value is on these but I think I did alright, still the most I've thrown down on a bike to date, luckily the wife hasn't asked. Pretty excited about this one, never thought I'd own one as they always seem to be out of my price range. Anyway, here you go...
IMAG1202_1.jpg
IMAG1209_1.jpg

Very nice bike! Congrats on the purchase. That generator is a Schwinn item, it is called a Sportlight generator. those are great on Fastbacks because they are a little smaller and lighter than the Deluxe generator sold by Schwinn, I think they fit the Fastback perfectly.

Very nice bike! Congrats on the purchase. That generator is a Schwinn item, it is called a Sportlight generator. those are great on Fastbacks because they are a little smaller and lighter than the Deluxe generator sold by Schwinn, I think they fit the Fastback perfectly.

Thanks for the info, I assume it was considered to be an accessory and not original to the bike?

That is awesome! Would love to have one just like it!
Looks like a Union headlight, same as I used on the front of 'FlipTheScript'?
Can't find any markings on the light at all. Another cool feature of the bike is the original bike shop sticker, kinda neat. It does have a Western Flyer front tire but everything else seems very original
86ec467838223562b0e6917f51d5d0cf.jpg

Thanks for the info, I assume it was considered to be an accessory and not original to the bike?
"Original to the bike" can mean it was bought at the shop and installed when the bike went out the door with the owner. So, I would venture to guess that it was original to the bike.

Great score! What month/year?

September of '69 I believe. I'd be interested to hear what you all think it's roughly worth. I have no plans of selling but would like to know where I stand. I love this thing, it matches my '70 nicely.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

I was noticing that myself. I'd guess the bars have been switched out as the chain guard patina matches the bike. Bars could have been swapped out at the original purchase too but who knows.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

It's either not an original Rams Horn or the chain guard has been changed. Either way it's a nice score. The chain guard should look like this:

DSCF0010-4.jpg
Did Schwinn make a Rams Horn in 69?

Great looking bike, I love Fastbacks. Besides looking great, they ride nice too. Be careful the first time you try a wheelie, the front end comes up with very little effort. Before you know you'll be the wheelie king of the neighborhood.:thumbsup:

Something I like to do with those Schwinn speedo's is to check to see if it'll spin freely before installing. Don't know if you've ever had them or not? The oil inside gets old and locks em up. I've had a few that were like that.

Latest posts

Back