RRBBO13 Q U O I S E

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm....
I'm not an engineer, but it would seem to me those tiny zip-ties wouldn't be strong enough to contain the weight of a grown man. Might oughta use some duct tape too. ;)
:bigsmile: Good advice! I need to find some of that 200MPH tape that NASCAR uses.

Here's todays latest mock-up.
100_5054.jpg

Looks rad. What's composite aluminum? Is it aluminum skin on a plastic core or something?
Ditto on the composite question...what are the components?

They look awesome :thumbsup:,
Jason
The material is made of two sheets of .15 mm aluminum bonded to a solid polyethylene core. I use it for making signs. I've found that it works great for making prototype parts like this. It's very easy to cut, drill and bend.
Here's more details.
Is this one getting a Christy saddle?
That's a good question! I need to discuss that with the owner. I think it would work good on this bike!

Way cool drops!
I could see an aftermarket for those with varying degrees of drop.
Looking sharp on the frame too.

Could a clamp similar to that used by the brake arm of a coaster hub be used where the zip-ties are to make a no-weld option? With maybe two big bolts instead of one little one.

I might change my mind, but these will most likely be welded to the frame.

However, it's interesting that you would bring it up because I went this morning and bought a couple of clamps to use with the prototype in place of the zip ties while I'm working on it.

My thoughts were that if/when I make some to sell, they would be bolt on pieces that would use a clamp also.
Clamps.jpg

Last edited:
If you make the traction arms a little bit longer (so they extend past the tire) you could come up over the chainstay, have it bend across to the other side and bend down. Then it would be a one piece part. The part over the chainstays (parallel to the ground) could have a tab for a fender mount and be the top of a kickstand plate. The kickstand sandwich would serve double duty as the mounting clamp for the extender.

If you make the traction arms a little bit longer (so they extend past the tire) you could come up over the chainstay, have it bend across to the other side and bend down. Then it would be a one piece part. The part over the chainstays (parallel to the ground) could have a tab for a fender mount and be the top of a kickstand plate. The kickstand sandwich would serve double duty as the mounting clamp for the extender.

That's some pretty good cipherin right there. Egghead Junior would be proud.

egghead.jpg

Thanks for the input! All ideas are welcome.

@macncheese I'm waiting on some billet clamps that I ordered that I think will be strong. I do like your idea of having a provision for a fender bracket! I will definitely keep that one in my back pocket as my production pieces continue to evolve. Thanks!

The production drop-outs would be cool. I would say bolt on for sure; something that could be inserted in the horizontal drop out of a traditional SS cruiser frame. And your clamp idea around the chain stay would work well. Maybe not vinyl covered, so that it could be painted along with the rest of the frame.

Of course, I immediately go to the 'naming' part of the product. The word 'drop-out' has all kinds of possibilities. My Weird-Ohs mind is whispering: "College Drop-Out", "Drop-in Drop-out",
"Extended-Stay", ....don't stop there...

@The Renaissance Man , you have prompted another name idea....your 'drop in'.....

"The Drop-In, a brand new idea to extend the drop-out of your custom cruiser build. Stretch that frame, use that bigger tire, change the stance on your next creation!"

**insert creative old school art by TRM depicting a teenage boy in his garage working on his bike frame, with The Drop-In mounted , and a cap and gown hanging loosely over his bike repair stand.

Caption....

"I didn't drop-out, I Drop-ped In !"

I didn't have a tool suitable for bending the tubes so I improvised with a C-clamp and some scrap wood. As the clamp is tightened, the two wedges slide together and expand converting the closing action into a spreading action.

First I mounted an old fork up side down in the frame and then secured the fork in a vice. As I tightened the C-clamp I also pulled down on the rear of the frame and used the bend to change the angle of the head tube. It only moved the top of the head tube back 1/4" but I'll take it. Just a little will help correct the trail with the flipped rockers.

View attachment 74811
Cold frame bending. Done it to spread rear for 5 speed rims before.

Latest posts

Back