Quality side-pull caliper brakes/stopping power

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a bike trailer to pull my daughter around in, and I would like to get some more stopping power from my brakes, I have brand new Taiwanese made ones on now, and I'm using V-pull brake pads, but they brake a bit soft with more of a slow rolling stop, the cheapie ones that were made of flat plate steel that I had on before definitely stopped the bike a bit better. My bike is moderately heavy steel frame schwinn cruiser and I'm pulling around 60 lbs, my rims are alloy or aluminum I think? Not sure but I know they aren't steel. Can anyone recommed a brand or model old or new that would work well for me, oh and I'm not looking to spend to spend hundreds of $$$$ on a new setup, unless it's the only way I just want to be able to stop short if the need arises.

Your best stopping power comes from a front brake. Diacompe Bulldogs work well or the Odessey 1999's.

Just curious as to what makes the bulldogs or Odysseys better than others? Is it the quality of components, rigidity of the alloys used in the calipers or combination of both? Is seems like the side pull design is pretty much the same, except for a few higher end styles that look pretty futuristic!

I'm using a Bulldog on the front of my Windwood, also used an old steel one for a while. The old rubber pads against the chrome wheels of older bikes worked much better. It seems in my experience the pad material and rim finish matter more than the quality of the arms, unless of course they are really floppy bendy junk. I think most of the pads you find now are harder, maybe to withstand the power of newer types of brakes. :? Or maybe they're just cheaper to make. :roll: Did you try the old pads on the new brake?

No, I didn't since they were mismatched and pretty worn when I got the bike, they did work well though! but that was with using a more rigid cheapie flat plate steel cailper. I have a bunch of new, old style slotted shorty red and black pads I could try, but I wouldn't think they'd be better than the bigger v-pull pads I have on there now

Latest posts

Back