Quick winter ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
917D0B5A-EEFD-40C3-BA27-363094E5B75D.jpeg
So, we got up to the 40’s on Monday. I drug out my mule TREK 3900 and hit the bricks.

As night was quickly approaching, I chose to stay off the roads and ride on the paved trail running around Onondaga Lake.

The Front side of the trail was great, but the back side had about 4” of snow on it!!!

I tried to do the back side but my Maxxis holy roller tires could not handle the snow and ice. I did about a quarter mile in the mess about wrecking 5 times, barely able to keep upright and decided to return to cleared paths.

On my way home, I clipped this pic’ of the Syracuse skyline (or lack there of) from the northwest side of Onondaga Lake.

Scene was great, so I had to stop for a pic’. Enjoy!!

Told my wife yesterday that if it was warm again after work today, I was digging out Duck Norris. It's snowing now, supposed to be for the next 24:mad:
93caf15ca78c6f15f99154ef4c90526d.jpg

March and April are the bad months here. You can’t hike, walk, snowshoe, ski, skate, ice fish or bike. You can sit and watch TV or read. We have a favorite pastime that we indulge in this time of year, getting on each other’s nerves. If I didn’t have a dog I would head south for 2 months. Yesterday there was a weird blizzard, It looked white, but it was really mostly rain. Enough so that my garage has two inches of water in it now. You can only ride a trainer. It’s mostly 3 feet of slush, which freezes some nights. The sidewalks and bike paths are ice with water on top. It got so windy last night that my shovels got blown off the porch and scattered. It’s 31 F right now. I have always hated the break up, there road rate restrictions so construction even slows. Bah and disgust.

March and April are the bad months here. You can’t hike, walk, snowshoe, ski, skate, ice fish or bike. You can sit and watch TV or read. We have a favorite pastime that we indulge in this time of year, getting on each other’s nerves. If I didn’t have a dog I would head south for 2 months. Yesterday there was a weird blizzard, It looked white, but it was really mostly rain. Enough so that my garage has two inches of water in it now. You can only ride a trainer. It’s mostly 3 feet of slush, which freezes some nights. The sidewalks and bike paths are ice with water on top. It got so windy last night that my shovels got blown off the porch and scattered. It’s 31 F right now. I have always hated the break up, there road rate restrictions so construction even slows. Bah and disgust.
Sounds like Syracuse....

Remind me not to go there in March.
I’m not originally from upstate NY: born and raised in central Ohio, moved to Florida for about 12 years after I graduated college, now in upstate.

Our average annual snowfall is about 120”.

In upstate NY it snows about 9 months a year and hails the other three....

Sounds very similar to here. Annual average snowfall is 157 inches in the nearest village of Munising which is 20 miles away. The average annual high temperature there is 50 F. In the western UP the average annual snowfall is 207 with the record just under 400 inches. Some don’t shovel their walks there, in winter they erect wooden bridges on top of the snow from the street to the porch. Anyway, we are on the down side, 26 F today.

Latest posts

Back