""RAD ROT"" Aug 1-Calling it a DONE DEAL!! pics added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 12 July

outskirtscustoms said:
Looks good! I got an old Schwinn speedometer that would fill the gap between the stem and bars nicely. Let me know if you want it.

Hmmm...that could be a neat addition.

Chips_Mahoy said:
A little patience, trial and error goes a long way.....

I think I have the chain ring & sprocket issue solved. I was able to get it in almost riding status today. I think I swapped 3 different chain rings, 1 crank set and 2 sprockets before getting one I hope will work.
50395363751162-vi.jpg

Mocked up a seat post to mount the seat down low and further back.
53395363753828-vi.jpg

Made a chain guard from a left over/unused piece from the BOARDER PATROL BO7 build last year. Still need to remove the old chain though....
02395363762743-vi.jpg

Top side patina in the sun and the Specialized stem:
05395363765531-vi.jpg

I've still got some adjustments to do on everything but it'll be a rider soon. after that it just sweatin' the small stuff.... :shock:

I used a small Capri speedo last year and it went to "11"
aIMG_8149.jpg

Mine's the same shape and all but without the cool face on there.

Chips_Mahoy said:
How does it fit w/ the small cross bar in there?

Your brace is a little higher than mine was. I did have to shave the sides of my speedo for it to fit. Mine was just for looks and didn't have a cable. You could remove some of the guts and slice the back so that it fit over the cross bar.

Just as a note I don't have the wheel piece to mine only the speedometer head and cable.

This has given me an idea...... If I had a non-functional speedo head like that, it could become my "dashboard" for things. The gears are turning now.....

GearsGIF.gif

Chips_Mahoy said:
This has given me an idea...... If I had a non-functional speedo head like that, it could become my "dashboard" for things. The gears are turning now.....
I still got plenty of toggle switches too! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure what kind of switch I'd use. It would have to be something older and would fit the look of the build.

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 16 July

MIni Mock-fest tonight.

I'm trying to figure out how I'll mount the taillight and not have it really bolted to anything. The tough part for this particular light is the wire comes out the bottom which makes it hard to screw/bolt it to something.

25395711365315-vi.jpg

Side view: Kind of a "floating" light set up is what I've been working on.

26395711366370-vi.jpg

I'm not sure if it'll work or not but I'll keep trying until it does or until I come up with something else!!! I'm going to have to come up with something else for the seat brace. It's not strong enough as is so I'll have to make something that mounts on each side of the seat brace/bracket. I'm still using nuts, bolts, metal and doo-dads lying around. I refuse to go buy new for this build!!

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 16 July

And a couple headlight shots. Not going to mount it this way but wanted to play around with positioning.

20395717120776-vi.jpg

21395717121972-vi.jpg

33395717133136-vi.jpg

39395717139419-vi.jpg

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pic added 20 July

Was digging through some old boxes in the barn and came upon this. I think it's a candle holder. It had small nails around its base to either attach to a base piece or to stick in a candle to hold it in. There was some wax residue on the inside is why I say it. The shape and handle placement are what really makes me think candle holder. It's all copper too!! As soon as I saw it I thought "BIKE LIGHT"....... 8) It's about 3" in diameter and 9-10" long.

Copper-vi.jpg

Flip that around and angle it on the down tube and I see a beer holder. :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
Flip that around and angle it on the down tube and I see a beer holder. :mrgreen:

That's a cool idea. But I've got something else in mind for bringing water & snacks with me..... :wink:

Chips_Mahoy said:
Was digging through some old boxes in the barn and came upon this. I think it's a candle holder. It had small nails around its base to either attach to a base piece or to stick in a candle to hold it in. There was some wax residue on the inside is why I say it. The shape and handle placement are what really makes me think candle holder. It's all copper too!! As soon as I saw it I thought "BIKE LIGHT"....... 8) It's about 3" in diameter and 9-10" long.

Copper-vi.jpg
BIKE LIGHT?!? KWAZY WRATTER!! YOU CAN DO EET!!! GTB!! PEACE

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Updated 23 July w/ new pics

Let there be lights!

....is what I heard today so I worked on the yellow fog/head light and the taillight. The fog/head light is a MoPar unit stamped Jun 28 1949 on the back of the bulb:
28396285868237-vi.jpg

MoPar molded into the glass:
29396285869527-vi.jpg

MoPar stamped in the steel housing:
30396285870915-vi.jpg

The trick to this will be getting to run it on 6 volts and not have a bunch of wires and stuff exposed. The taillight is done and ready to mount but no pics to share yet.

I found this piece that looks like an old horn cover or speaker cover. I can't find any markings on it anywhere. It may find itself on here as a mock horn cover:
44396286544840-vi.jpg

Latest posts

Back