""RAD ROT"" Aug 1-Calling it a DONE DEAL!! pics added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
GOAL:
1. Build a cool bike that I’d be proud to be seen on and HAVE FUN while doing it!
2. Build it from existing and/or leftover parts.
3. Keep it low budget.
4. Don’t get stressed if I don’t get it done. There’s always next year.
5. Have Fun!!

If the Mods feel that I shouldn’t use this bike since it had already broken down from BO7 (66 West), just let me know. It’s not a problem. This has been sitting in storage since May of last year just waiting to be built! It’s current condition is as you see it in the pics.

“RAD ROT”
This is my entry this year….My 1948 Hawthorne that was going to be used for BO7 but decided to build “BOARDER PATROL” instead. I’m planning on a simple, but fun (of course), build using parts I already have in my collection. So we’ll see how it goes……

I really don’t know if I’ll get it done or not before the deadline but I’m going to try. I'm getting my car back this weekend after 2 years of restoration work. I've got to completely reassemble it by the first week of August for a big show. I'm also getting ready to move in a month. So needless to say, my time will be limited.

Good luck to all other builders!!

prewarHawthorne-vi.jpg

66WestFrame-vi.jpg

66Westparts-vi.jpg

Re: ""RAD ROT""

Awesome Unicycle build!
Good luck!

Cool starting point, Will be cool to see what you do with it. I think you're fine, the rules state the bike must not already be built...Says nothing about being broken down. 8)

Thanks all! I've read the rules over & over and thought I'd go ahead and use it. It's just too cool not too! I didn't want to violate anything since I had technically started and disassembled it last May for BO7. In all honesty, it has sat in storage since I decided to not use it as my BO7 build!

You're not the only one to start with a mostly disassemble bike. How else would you know if there's a potential show stopper for that bike?

kim_dude said:
You're not the only one to start with a mostly disassemble bike. How else would you know if there's a potential show stopper for that bike?

Yep, I disassembled my bike too. Mainly to check for rust damage, cracks, and to make sure stuff would come apart and wasn't rusted solid. Had to chop the crank to get it out. Not gonna be using anything but the frame and sissy bar from the original bike :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
kim_dude said:

Yep, I disassembled my bike too. Mainly to check for rust damage, cracks, and to make sure stuff would come apart and wasn't rusted solid. Had to chop the crank to get it out. Not gonna be using anything but the frame and sissy bar from the original bike :mrgreen:

I disassembled most of mine and might have to cut the crank, can't break the left side pedal loose.

kim_dude said:
outskirtscustoms said:
kim_dude said:

I disassembled most of mine and might have to cut the crank, can't break the left side pedal loose.
Hmmmm, same thing happened on mine, I couldn't get either pedal off. Angle grinder sure comes in handy though. :wink:

I found my headbadge for the bike.....YEA!!!

Hawthornebadgeafter-vi.jpg

Looked like this before some light sanding:

Hawthornebadgebefore-vi.jpg

A little polishing and it should look pretty good. It sucks when everything is packed up hereand there and I don't remember where it's at.

you should have let me know you were looking I am parting out a Wards Hawthorne right now, I'd have sold you the badge cheap.

Thanks, but I think I still have everything......somewhere. I couldn't find my tires & rims earlier and need to find the lights I'm going to use on it. I may be interested in that springer, crank & bearings though. Basket too for someone else.

Chips_Mahoy said:
Thanks, but I think I still have everything......somewhere. I couldn't find my tires & rims earlier and need to find the lights I'm going to use on it. I may be interested in that springer, crank & bearings though. Basket too for someone else.

Sure just shoot me a PM for them. I got 2 of the baskets.

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Update 18 May

Did a little digging through my stored stuff and found my lights and a few other parts that caught my eye. I also grabbed my Park stand so I don't have to bend over to work on it.

1st mock up:

25390607345943-vi.jpg

I can't decide if I'll use a regular chain ring w/ the Flightliner guard or use the old 10-speed chain ring and cover.

24390607344047-vi.jpg

I won't be using these handlebars or stem.

28390607348093-vi.jpg

Old taillight from the pile

21390607341421-vi.jpg

Possible light configuration. The yellow light is from a 1941 Mopar something or another.

Chips_Mahoy said:

That's the springer I used last year. It's pretty cool how it operates.

kingfish254 said:
Chips_Mahoy said:

That's the springer I used last year. It's pretty cool how it operates.

I think that's what's supposed to be on this bike. After doing mock up today, I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to clear coat it as is or go ahead and paint it. If I paint it I guess I'll have to spend some money on it against my original plan.... :(

Latest posts

Back