""RAD ROT"" Aug 1-Calling it a DONE DEAL!! pics added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ""RAD ROT""

Machine Age Victim said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
Machine Age Victim said:
Love that light! How is your seat attached?

I dont want to give away all my secrets!! (zip tie)
Ah ok, thanks

Now that I've looked at it a few more times I think I like theway that seat sits like that. I'll just have to make some type of bracket or mount for it.

I like the lights setup.
I would go with the Spaceliner guard and a regular chainring too.

kingfish254 said:
I like the lights setup.
I would go with the Spaceliner guard and a regular chainring too.

I think that's whats gonna hafta happen. The 10-spd chainring won't work with the rear sprocket so that solves that problem.

Yo Chips, any progress?

kingfish254 said:
Yo Chips, any progress?

Yes & no. Alot of thinking has been done but not any real physical progress. I've been tinkering w/ a taillight and a cool little addition to the whole package that will be revealed at the end.

HEY CHIPS!! GREAT MOCKS! I DON'T THINK I TOLD YOU THIS ALL YEAR BUT ....GET TA BUILDIN!! PEACE

Chips_Mahoy said:
kingfish254 said:
Yo Chips, any progress?

Yes & no. Alot of thinking has been done but not any real physical progress. I've been tinkering w/ a taillight and a cool little addition to the whole package that will be revealed at the end.

Is it something you got from me?

HOLY COW I actually did something on RAD ROT today.. :shock:

I broke the bike back down and scrubbed off the grime. I cleaned it pretty well but didn't take away the patina that took so long to get to its current condition. If the darn weather would improve I'd go ahead and clear the frame!! Both wheels got cleaned and primed and the front one got some color. Bars got painted too. Can't post pics from my phone but will try to from my computer tomorrow.

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics-04 July

Finally got to a 'puter to post some pics. I'm working on some painting today but stopped for lunch and to post a couple for ya....

Frame and tires scrubbed. I'm not going to bleach the white walls back to new looking white. They will be left dingy and a few greasy fingerprints will remain. Nothing too nice for this bike....
59394246199967-vi.jpg

Front wheel painted. Nothing fancy, just an extra that was lying around. This was the first use of my ultra-trick wheel painting jig;
09394590129847-vi.jpg

Tha frame should be cleared later today and the rear wheel painted if I have time to run to town for paint.

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics added 05 July

Here's what I was referring too about the white walls. You can see what's been exposed to the environment and what hasnt. I actually like the off white color better!
09394720629922-vi.jpg

Here's the front mounted and ready for installation;
20394719320510-vi.jpg

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics added 04 July

Chips_Mahoy said:
outskirtscustoms said:
About 3 coats of Rustolium gloss clear.

Okay. I don't think I'm liking the Matte look. I'll have tp sand & respray..... :x

Or if you want to make it a more distressed look like mine with less work easy off oven cleaner, a copper wire brush and copper wool works wonders for distressing paint. I left mine on for about 30 minutes and it ate it up quick. Wash it really good, then clear it. Mine had 3 resprays on it so I scraped that off with a pocket knife down to just above the red.

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics added 05 July

Chips_Mahoy said:
Okay. I don't think I'm liking the Matte look. I'll have to sand & respray..... :x

Disregard what I said. I looked at it a little bit ago and it came out great! Exactly what I was looking for. Sweet!!

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics added 04 July

Did some degreasing and cleaning of the fork and truss rods last night. The truss rod bracket thingy and the fork tube nut are soaking in a PB Blaster bath for the day.I'll try to paint the rear wheel and clear the fork tonight.

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics added 06 July

Just cleared the fork so it'll dry overnight and all day tomorrow. Having a hard time finding nuts to use on it so they'll blend in w/ the rest of the bike. No new shiny stuff!!

Here's the frame cleared in Matte clear. Bad photo, but I'm real happy w/ the way it turned out, after a brief period of impatience and early judgement....

The original painted elongated diamond graphic after careful cleaning and clear:
patinaframeclear-vi.jpg

And some of the cleaned rust/patina on the top tube after clear:
Patinaclear-vi.jpg

If things keep going as they are, I should be able to finish it by the deadline....finger crossed

Latest posts

Back