""RAD ROT"" Aug 1-Calling it a DONE DEAL!! pics added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics added 06 July

That frame has great patina, the clear coat really makes it pop! :wink:

Re: ""RAD ROT"" Pics added 06 July

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
That frame has great patina, the clear coat really makes it pop! :wink:

Thanks! I tried and wanted to keep and preserve as much of the original graphics as possible and also highlight the "natural" look of the bike.

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 06 July

Looking great Chips.
Can't wait to see more!!

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 06 July

kingfish254 said:
Looking great Chips.
Can't wait to see more!!

Thank ya sir! I'm glad I decided to NOT repaint this one.

Mocked up the frame, fork and front wheel/tire before I left for work this morning:

bikeframewheel-vi.jpg

I still need to remove the chain. Do skip-tooth chains have a master link like modern chains? I've looked and don't see a link that's any different than the rest. Normally I'd just cut a chain off but don't want to destroy this one. Advice?? :?

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pic added 07 July

Beautiful! Love the Patina!

Laurie

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pic added 07 July

Laurie Thom said:
Beautiful! Love the Patina!

Laurie

Thank you very much!

Got the rear wheel and handlebars painted tonight. Too dark for pics tho.... :( I finally selected which chainring I'll be using and started soaking it in Liquid Wrench. Tomorrow, I hope to get the rear wheel & tire mounted, crank/chainring, stem & bars installed and have a roller to sit and stare at awhile. I can't decide if I'll use the rear rack or not. More pics soon!!

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 09 July

UPDATE 09 JULY

Got some mock up work done today. I THINK I'm done painting so that'll be a relief. Now I think I've just to to clean a few more parts before they're re-installed and reassembly can begin!! :D

Sorry for the poor pics. No good sun this evening..... :cry:

mock1-vi.jpg

mock2-vi.jpg

mock3-vi.jpg

mock4-vi.jpg

Looks great! What kind of tires are those? They look nice and fat but not too fat.

love the seat position and look!!

Troy

Joe--they're 26x2.125 but I forget the brand.

Troy--thanks! I'm still trying to figure out how to mount it there.

Chips_Mahoy said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to mount it there.
Perhaps you need to see Mercury Pacemaker by Geech34-2nd

geech34-2nd said:
Whittled out a seat post today, made from a Schwinn crank

Leave it a bit longer, heat to lower it. :wink:

I think you'll need something along the lines of what RMan did to get it down that low.
Love the lines on your bike with that low seat.
mock2-vi.jpg

I was thinking of seeing if I can make something similar to what TRM did. That may work out perfectly and be strong a well.

For once I didn't want a set of apes on a build. I like the shape of these bars. They kinda go w/ late 40's, early 50's shapes. They should be fairly comfortable for rides. I really wanted to put a multi-speed hub on this bike but budget wouldn't allow it. I've got plans for my hex tube Monark that'll get one.... :wink:

Here's what's going on....

I was installing a crankset I had and learned it wasn't going to work:

53395287793601-vi.jpg

55395287795579-vi.jpg

It didn't have enough threads to tighten down. Weird. Upon closer inspection I saw the the inner bearing races are really deep and the outer ones are the same. So.......plan B. I like the crank arms in the pic since they have a little rust and flavor to them and the chrome finish isn't perfect. I liked the chainring guard from the old Ten-speed I scrapped a long time ago but the chainring wouldnt work. I took an extra chainring (WCC) from the pile and have drilled holes to be able to attach it to the Ten-speed guard. I'm not sure if I'll like it once it's together though. I really liked the was the original set up looked (sans Spaceliner guard);

34390607354390-vi.jpg

If I could get a single multispeed hub sprocket that would work on the coaster hub I think I could get it all to work and get the look I want. The chainring had the look I was wanting...... :(

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 12 July

A little patience, trial and error goes a long way.....

I think I have the chain ring & sprocket issue solved. I was able to get it in almost riding status today. I think I swapped 3 different chain rings, 1 crank set and 2 sprockets before getting one I hope will work.
50395363751162-vi.jpg

Mocked up a seat post to mount the seat down low and further back.
53395363753828-vi.jpg

Made a chain guard from a left over/unused piece from the BOARDER PATROL BO7 build last year. Still need to remove the old chain though....
02395363762743-vi.jpg

Top side patina in the sun and the Specialized stem:
05395363765531-vi.jpg

I've still got some adjustments to do on everything but it'll be a rider soon. after that it just sweatin' the small stuff.... :shock:

Re: ""RAD ROT"" New pics added 12 July

Looks good! I got an old Schwinn speedometer that would fill the gap between the stem and bars nicely. Let me know if you want it.

Latest posts

Back