BO15 Radarlux Space-Cadet

May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now it's sort of a roller View attachment 119466
Didn't go with the original seat post in the end , there wasn't enough metal there . Did I mention I'm buying as little as possible in , luckily I im a bit of a hoarder when it comes to interesting shaped bits of metal .
This morning my wife put some deckchairs out for the scrap man . They have curves and angles I'm going to struggle to make . They are now on the scrap pile . So bottom line is I have cut up bikes behind the shed and the Dutch granny bike that supplied the steerer tube has also given its seat tube.

Reactions: gowjobs
May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of grinding ...got the bit where the hinge was to just about disappear. Looked on the scrap pile for inspiration ( did I mention there is no formula , I'm making it up as I go ) I spy a shopper bike with oval tubing, that will do . As I don't have a pipe bender in.my shed it was down to pie cuts and zaps to get a bend . Anothe section of green Dutch bike gave up some tube for the front half . This is just the spine , it will get prettier . Once again I mocked it up to see how it looks .
IMG_20200509_164840268.jpg
IMG_20200509_165758952.jpg

May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build! I used an modified NSU Quickly fork on a bike once, they are awesome.
I still have a big old fender for these NSU's lying around.
Thanks, I'm learning as I go . I had the NSU forks on a Basman I built up a few years ago . They are nice , i really like the shape of them . I'm going to need to get brutal with them to work on this one though

Reactions: BartRidesEternal
May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first golden rule in dealing with a problem is avoid the problem .
The forks can wait .
Today Amazon brought me shiny stuff , this will spur me on .
So anyway I started on extending the rear legs . These will house the tail lights and act as the the spars for the mudguard . IKEA unsuspectingly supplied these parts from a shelving unit . They are prethreaded at the ends and this will help mounting the lights . The lights are black anodised Alloy of some sort so I will need to strip them and polish. They screw into the backing plates so I should in theory be able to mount them without visible fixings.
IMG_20200510_161514605.jpg
IMG_20200510_155339103.jpg
IMG_20200510_161413516.jpg
IMG_20200510_161413516.jpg

May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This evening I had a think about how to make that tank ...I have so many compound curves in my head , steel just isn't a realistic option , I'm a guy in a garden shed and the last time I checked I don't have Bead Rollers .Pressbrakes , guillotines and English Wheels in there.
Everything that's happened so far involved finding the right shaped bit of metal in my scrap pile and welding it in . Grinder ,Welder ...hitting things with hammers till they go where I need them to go .
I have however in the past made a tank from blue foam and glass fibre . Looks like the shed is going to get dusty then. I know where some blue foam is at work , and I've just ordered a bargain bucket of fibre glass .
Until that turns up I will get on with other stuff , but at least I have a wet playtime job .Remember I'm in the UK, Summer is 3 days a year and welding/grinding in a wooden shed is probably a bad idea , mig welding in the rain hurts...don't ask ,I just know, and boy did I get a belt off that thing...don't do it kids .
Also when welding the underside of an old van on Axle stands , try to not get a hot blob of weld roll down your earhole . And if you do, do not try to shake it out in the confined space with the mask still on . You will inevitably bang your head on the floor of the van ,recoil , bang concrete floor several times before coming to your senses realising you are not helping the situation .
The actual event involved lots of swearing , but I have read the rules , use that imagination , fizz,(bad word) bang (bad word) this ( bad word ) ...repeat to fade .
Life lessons .

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I really love how this build is coming together. The original frame is gonna be completely hidden in this beauty!!!!

Reactions: Mr Unhinged
May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love how this build is coming together. The original frame is gonna be completely hidden in this beauty!!!!
Not completely hidden , there will be bits that will give away it's past . The main spine going through it will be poking out . But yes a big chunk of what you see will be it's skeleton . :)

Reactions: kingfish254
May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give my neighbours a break from welding and grinding I have started to play about with blue foam . I'm working part time due to Covid 19 and it's a bit late when I get home to be ruining folks evenings .The Blue foam (found in a skip at work ...did I'm mention this is low budget ) It's way too early to be messing with pretty stuff though , but it's little boost to see where I'm heading and how the rear end will translate to the main frame .
Next on the list will be that rear end . The idea is to build a frame and mount the mudguard solidly to that so it floats without stays , and also provides a bit of strength to the rear dropouts . The last thing I need is the bike breaking it's back after the pretty stuff happens .
Then it's on to mounting the BB and figuring out the chain line needed . I may need to hide a jockey wheel somewhere , but we will see.
IMG_20200512_202936700.jpg

May 6, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I had a look around the internet for some funky front lights . I looked at proper spacelander ones . Yikes they cost more than the car I drive . The usual places didn't yeild anything right. So I went to the poundshop and bought some led lightbulbs . The lenses are plastic and with a little squeeze in a vice they popped off like corks .
I had a mooch around the scrap bin in the workshop . 2 escutcheon plates for toilet door locks looked at me . I flipped the inner and outer bits and the lenses bite nicely in between . I just need to figure up how to light them but that's the easy bit so spacelander lights £250 a pair , Space Cadet lights £2 .
IMG_20200513_105603982.jpg

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I had a look around the internet for some funky front lights . I looked at proper spacelander ones . Yikes they cost more than the car I drive . The usual places didn't yeild anything right. So I went to the poundshop and bought some led lightbulbs . The lenses are plastic and with a little squeeze in a vice they popped off like corks .
I had a mooch around the scrap bin in the workshop . 2 escutcheon plates for toilet door locks looked at me . I flipped the inner and outer bits and the lenses bite nicely in between . I just need to figure up how to light them but that's the easy bit so spacelander lights £250 a pair , Space Cadet lights £2 .View attachment 120362
Awesome! I may steal this solution for one of my next builds! I believe painted transparent red those make some awesome rear lights too!

Nov 24, 2009
Ventura, CA
gowjobs68.tumblr.com
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Reactions: Mr Unhinged

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
129   0   0

Members online

The Bike Wall BOXKARS Clyde James Cycles