BO15 Radarlux Space-Cadet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now it's sort of a roller View attachment 119466
Didn't go with the original seat post in the end , there wasn't enough metal there . Did I mention I'm buying as little as possible in , luckily I im a bit of a hoarder when it comes to interesting shaped bits of metal .
This morning my wife put some deckchairs out for the scrap man . They have curves and angles I'm going to struggle to make . They are now on the scrap pile . So bottom line is I have cut up bikes behind the shed and the Dutch granny bike that supplied the steerer tube has also given its seat tube.

Lots of grinding ...got the bit where the hinge was to just about disappear. Looked on the scrap pile for inspiration ( did I mention there is no formula , I'm making it up as I go ) I spy a shopper bike with oval tubing, that will do . As I don't have a pipe bender in.my shed it was down to pie cuts and zaps to get a bend . Anothe section of green Dutch bike gave up some tube for the front half . This is just the spine , it will get prettier . Once again I mocked it up to see how it looks .
IMG_20200509_164840268.jpg
IMG_20200509_165758952.jpg

Really nice build! I used an modified NSU Quickly fork on a bike once, they are awesome.
I still have a big old fender for these NSU's lying around.
Thanks, I'm learning as I go . I had the NSU forks on a Basman I built up a few years ago . They are nice , i really like the shape of them . I'm going to need to get brutal with them to work on this one though

The first golden rule in dealing with a problem is avoid the problem .
The forks can wait .
Today Amazon brought me shiny stuff , this will spur me on .
So anyway I started on extending the rear legs . These will house the tail lights and act as the the spars for the mudguard . IKEA unsuspectingly supplied these parts from a shelving unit . They are prethreaded at the ends and this will help mounting the lights . The lights are black anodised Alloy of some sort so I will need to strip them and polish. They screw into the backing plates so I should in theory be able to mount them without visible fixings.
IMG_20200510_161514605.jpg
IMG_20200510_155339103.jpg
IMG_20200510_161413516.jpg
IMG_20200510_161413516.jpg

This evening I had a think about how to make that tank ...I have so many compound curves in my head , steel just isn't a realistic option , I'm a guy in a garden shed and the last time I checked I don't have Bead Rollers .Pressbrakes , guillotines and English Wheels in there.
Everything that's happened so far involved finding the right shaped bit of metal in my scrap pile and welding it in . Grinder ,Welder ...hitting things with hammers till they go where I need them to go .
I have however in the past made a tank from blue foam and glass fibre . Looks like the shed is going to get dusty then. I know where some blue foam is at work , and I've just ordered a bargain bucket of fibre glass .
Until that turns up I will get on with other stuff , but at least I have a wet playtime job .Remember I'm in the UK, Summer is 3 days a year and welding/grinding in a wooden shed is probably a bad idea , mig welding in the rain hurts...don't ask ,I just know, and boy did I get a belt off that thing...don't do it kids .
Also when welding the underside of an old van on Axle stands , try to not get a hot blob of weld roll down your earhole . And if you do, do not try to shake it out in the confined space with the mask still on . You will inevitably bang your head on the floor of the van ,recoil , bang concrete floor several times before coming to your senses realising you are not helping the situation .
The actual event involved lots of swearing , but I have read the rules , use that imagination , fizz,(bad word) bang (bad word) this ( bad word ) ...repeat to fade .
Life lessons .

I really love how this build is coming together. The original frame is gonna be completely hidden in this beauty!!!!

I really love how this build is coming together. The original frame is gonna be completely hidden in this beauty!!!!
Not completely hidden , there will be bits that will give away it's past . The main spine going through it will be poking out . But yes a big chunk of what you see will be it's skeleton . :)

To give my neighbours a break from welding and grinding I have started to play about with blue foam . I'm working part time due to Covid 19 and it's a bit late when I get home to be ruining folks evenings .The Blue foam (found in a skip at work ...did I'm mention this is low budget ) It's way too early to be messing with pretty stuff though , but it's little boost to see where I'm heading and how the rear end will translate to the main frame .
Next on the list will be that rear end . The idea is to build a frame and mount the mudguard solidly to that so it floats without stays , and also provides a bit of strength to the rear dropouts . The last thing I need is the bike breaking it's back after the pretty stuff happens .
Then it's on to mounting the BB and figuring out the chain line needed . I may need to hide a jockey wheel somewhere , but we will see.
IMG_20200512_202936700.jpg

Last night I had a look around the internet for some funky front lights . I looked at proper spacelander ones . Yikes they cost more than the car I drive . The usual places didn't yeild anything right. So I went to the poundshop and bought some led lightbulbs . The lenses are plastic and with a little squeeze in a vice they popped off like corks .
I had a mooch around the scrap bin in the workshop . 2 escutcheon plates for toilet door locks looked at me . I flipped the inner and outer bits and the lenses bite nicely in between . I just need to figure up how to light them but that's the easy bit so spacelander lights £250 a pair , Space Cadet lights £2 .
IMG_20200513_105603982.jpg

Last night I had a look around the internet for some funky front lights . I looked at proper spacelander ones . Yikes they cost more than the car I drive . The usual places didn't yeild anything right. So I went to the poundshop and bought some led lightbulbs . The lenses are plastic and with a little squeeze in a vice they popped off like corks .
I had a mooch around the scrap bin in the workshop . 2 escutcheon plates for toilet door locks looked at me . I flipped the inner and outer bits and the lenses bite nicely in between . I just need to figure up how to light them but that's the easy bit so spacelander lights £250 a pair , Space Cadet lights £2 .View attachment 120362
Awesome! I may steal this solution for one of my next builds! I believe painted transparent red those make some awesome rear lights too!

1589480710167.png

Latest posts

Back