BO15 Radarlux Space-Cadet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wannaniva.gif

Nice I say!

Got a brace on the back end behind the seat post . Also got the driveline sorted , crank mounted etc . Obviously not thinking it through it needed a jockey wheel for the chain not to snag . It rides now anyway . Here is the thing , I thought the forks would be a bit of a problem and I'm right . They flex and twist wildly at the moment ...more thought needed . If anyone wonders why I'm building so quick , the answer is in the last screenshot ...I'm from the future baby...
IMG_20200516_164855012.jpg
View attachment 120867
IMG_20200516_165956351.jpg
View attachment 120867
IMG_20200516_165956351.jpg
View attachment 120867

It looks very good with both fenders.
It will be getting both fenders , they probably won't look like that when I'm done mind . It will also probably have a full chain guard , but that's in my head too . Need to figure out the forks first as I'm really not happy with those .

I'm not sure how to phrase this. Are the forks one sided stamped steel (think a U-channel rather than a box or round tube)? If so, could you plate the inside, that would stiffen them up a lot.

Yes they are single pressing , originally they had a top bracing before I cut them in half . Boxing them in should as you say should help . I'm also thinking they need a bridging piece going across the top , and if I'm 100 % honest with myself I don't like the way they stop abruptly be and jut forward at the crown . The good news is that I have loads of scrap bits to play with and I think I know where the very thing I need is :) . Watch this space ...but not too intently it's 1:10 am in the UK , and I really should go to bed in a moment . However you have sparked an idea . Cheers :)

Yes they are single pressing , originally they had a top bracing before I cut them in half . Boxing them in should as you say should help . I'm also thinking they need a bridging piece going across the top , and if I'm 100 % honest with myself I don't like the way they stop abruptly be and jut forward at the crown . The good news is that I have loads of scrap bits to play with and I think I know where the very thing I need is :) . Watch this space ...but not too intently it's 1:10 am in the UK , and I really should go to bed in a moment . However you have sparked an idea . Cheers :)

Maybe you could add to your foam base.

InkedBike_LI.jpg

Maybe you could add to your foam base.

View attachment 120933
Great minds once again ...I've got loads of adding and carving to do when it gets to that stage , and you are right , it needs to come forward really ( it's going back too by the way , it will also be getting a tummy tuck as it will be like riding a log otherwise ( remember that's one side currently the bikes crossbar is about 6" wide with both sides on ) so it will taper wide at the front , swoop in at the crossbar and have hips at the rear . The rear fender will fade into that rear eventually. Remember most of the metal you see on the frame bar the spur going through , won't be seen . So when I get it as a rider , maybe tomorrow ...later today even, then the crazy can happen :)

Can't believe you murdered that classic fork !!! :D :D
But I already know from the work you have done so far, that it was for a good cause! :D

Can't believe you murdered that classic fork !!! :D :D
But I already know from the work you have done so far, that it was for a good cause! :D
I was thinking as I fired up the grinder , what am I doing , is this a good idea ...
The good news is I bought that fork a few years back and it was damaged with bits missing to begin with . I straightened it out for its last application and ended up needing to widen it to fit the 80mm rim in .
What I bought ( really cheaply I will add ) should really never have made it back on the original moped without lots of work . It probably should be in the bin . I was still wincing as I took that first cut though.

Did a fair chunk today , those forks have been lined with some flat bar and a big old weld round the steerer tube . Not much to show but it's made it ridable. More work on the forks needs to happen still I'm not happy with the geometry yet but they are tons better

Awesome build!

Just wondering, maybe you already mentioned it earlier: Is that a Sturmey Archer S2C hub in the rear wheel? The kickshift one?
Yes that's the one , I ran it on a Basman for a while I quite like them , saves all the fiddling about with cables , compared to the automatix it's a lot easier to live with . At least you can time the shift on these , the Automatix tended to shift at the worst times . While trying to ride up a hill was its favourite trick . Puff puff , get a run up , clunk , whurr , grind to a halt ... guess I'm pushing it up the hill then.

Latest posts

Back