radio astronaut wagon build *FINISHED PICS*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry its not a bike but out of all the forums i'm on i thought this is the place that people might be into the build. i have a child on the way and i overwhelm myself with the amount of projects i come up with but this time i wanted to build a wagon. i searched craigslist and found this gem for $10. ill let the pictures do the talking.
the donor...
IMG_20120221_191442.jpg

the front drop axle...
IMG_20120223_201748.jpg

axle still not welded to chassis...
IMG_20120224_181724.jpg

IMG_20120224_181735.jpg

a quick video showing the axle turning because im a nerd and was exited that my design worked well...

I still have to get the axle welded to the chassis, make a pull handle, paint the inside of the wagon, and "do the interior"

Re: radio astronaut wagon build

Sweet! I've always wanted to build one like that! 8)

Reminds me of a Rat rod car at this point! Looks cool so far!!

Very cool! I'm building a similar late 50's Radio Rancher for my 9 month old. I'd love to see your chasis without the wagon box when you get it all finished... So I can copy it... It looks great so far. I was thinking of leaving mine crusty on the outside and spraying bedliner inside so the little one doesn't get tetanus.

looks cool have you seen the one hooch did when you get it sorted can you make me one of those front ends they are sweet

ichi bike said:
looks cool have you seen the one hooch did when you get it sorted can you make me one of those front ends they are sweet
i could make you one for the right price lol,I got a few hours into the front axle alone and its all tig welded stainless steel and brass bushings i made on a lathe.

Well i made some progress today. I tig welded the front axle to the chassis, tigged the "tub" mounting tabs to the chassis, welded tube to the steering setup, and machined the brass bushing to fit it for the pull handle.
IMG_20120227_171643.jpg

IMG_20120227_171657.jpg

IMG_20120227_171903.jpg

i made the pull handle, a stainless railing attached by 1/4 20 screws, and welded up the extra holes and cracks in the tub but I am not sure how i feel about the railing yet, i may add another vertical tube in the corners.
IMG_20120229_171840.jpg

IMG_20120229_171849.jpg

This is so cool! I need to build one for my son!

Very Cool! I love Wagon builds!!! Fellow RRB member" Hooch "built a really cool wagon a while back and I built this for my Nephew to pull behind his trike.
camera-Sophia4.jpg

getting near completion. i painted the inside and bottom of the "tub" then clear coated the whole tub. also painted the wheels, painted on the white walls, and machined brass bushings to replace the old factory wood bushings :wink:
IMG_20120305_164248.jpg

Droool

very kewl kustom

I have a similar condition Firestone wagon out at my moms. might have to rescue it now ( and all your fault :) )

Very nice! You've set the bar high for the rest of us building these... I should just pay you to build mine (I mean my daughters).

Latest posts

Back