Radio Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I remembered I had this old Radio Flyer 80 wagon rusting to heck in the backyard and thought "Why not?" ...It'll need some new tires as the original hollow plastic ones are shot, but it should look nice with a little work. And the paint and weathering match the bike well.

What do you think?

4306252250_c817c776ae_b.jpg

4305514091_fca38496c1_b.jpg

I know I know it's not a Radio Flyer but here is a pic of my 50's wagon,cargo box is not metal but it's got cool stainless airstream style front and fins on the back,it's an old Eatonia.Good parts hauler for going swap meet hunting!Maybe makes a good bicycle trailer for a fifties bike???
P1020240.jpg

^cool. I like the metal wheels and hubcaps... I think i need to go pneumatic tires though. Wheels/tires as stiff as those would probably bounce around a bit as the little Radio Flyer is so light.

ive wanted to run a wagon/trailer with 2 20" wheels centered on each side of the wagon,

my brother has a kiddie trailer, his advise is to run it with super low psi to keep the trailer from hopping.

Trailers can sure come in handy!Here is a pic of a trailer i'm building (another work in progress)should look good after a new paint job and a few other mods,i made it out of a vintage outboard Evinrude boat motor cover,it's fully enclosed fiberglass body has a hinged door at the front to access the cargo area and rolls on pneumatic tires for a smooth ride,just wanted a little tote trailer to take to the beach to haul the beach blanket and other little personal items while still looking cool and keeping everything dry incase of rain.Should look good when it's finished and i will post a pic. 8)
P1000493.jpg

That motor housing is a great idea! Cool aero shape and looks like it'll be functional. Is the red part a light? And are those wheels from a hoveraround?! :D

The red part is just paint on the spears but it wouldn't be to hard to put in some small LED lights :) I'm shaving off the Evinrude emblems but keeping the spears on the sides and would like to keep the two tone style paint i just haven't decided on a color yet,would probably look good painted to match the bike i will be using but if i use it for one of my other bikes it might not match so maybe i should redo it in the original black and white scheme for a more neutral look......What do you think? As far as the wheels go i found them at a garage sale and just made an axle to fit the width of the trailer but your right,they came off some sort of medical scooter/electric wheelchair type of ride.

i know this is a old topics but i thought id share my wagon i built for my kids. its not a classic but it gets alot of comments

6919_103726819641255_100000118131103_94850_640448_n.jpg

Cool wagon ScurryMurray, a very nice adition to the bike.

Torpedo said:
I know I know it's not a Radio Flyer but here is a pic of my 50's wagon,cargo box is not metal but it's got cool stainless airstream style front and fins on the back,it's an old Eatonia.Good parts hauler for going swap meet hunting!Maybe makes a good bicycle trailer for a fifties bike???
P1020240.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration Torpedo, you see, around here there are no vintage wagons. All my life I´ve been wanting a Radio Flyer, and now I´m gonna replicate your example with some little twists 8)

Right on! Can't wait to see some pic's when your finished,i myself am going to build a few custom wagons this summer :D a friend of mine has four or five older wagons in his garage and i told him i will purchase all of them,some have wood boxes and some are metal.Now i just have to find the time.

Torpedo said:
Now i just have to find the time.

Same thing with me, finishing a tube bender, a bike to do metal work and paint for a friend, Indian board track racer to fabricate from scratch... I also have a job and I´m getting all things prepared for marriage, including moving... this is gonna be an interesting year :D :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

Sounds like you have a full plate Gdcast,good luck with everything :D Sounds like your far away,whats it like in your neck of the woods? Got any pic's of sights or interesting happenings in your area? Always enjoy viewing pic's of other parts of the world :D Also congrats on your wedding :wink:

Latest posts

Back