Rainier Racer almost, she's on wheels! 9/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rainier Racer

Ape Stanger said:
I have an idea for the stuck seat post. As soon as I have a couple of hours again I'm going to have a socket welded to the top of the post so I can get my hefty breaker bar on it. If I have to I'll bolt the frame to the old steel clothes line poles in my back yard.

Please, when you do this, combine a good pre-soaking and heat to insure that you don't twist the frame in half, but otherwise, I like the idea.

jerrykr said:
Hey thanks. That seems like a bit more eloquent version of what I had in mind. I don't have those tools, but I think I can figure out something close. Thanks again for the advice. I'm new to bikes and to make matters worse I don't always think clearly when I start muscleing machines. In my industry they call it "getting out the press wrench" which means you're about to hit your machine with a hammer. I try to avoid such behaviour unless it's absolutely necessary.

Xcruiser said:
Looks like things are shaping up nicely and the seat reconstruction idea is sweet so thanks to whomever put that up!
Ditto on the seat idea. That is actually the seat I have so I've already started cutting. Really great idea. We'll see if I can actually pull it off as well.

Sweet.Thanks for the info.I've got a few seats that need some attention.No clue what to do with them.This helps get me started.Thanks!

Straightbars are always cool.
Nice job on the seat.

Sorry about dragging my feet. Some things came up just as I started this: I just put in notice at my job after printing for 25 years :lol: , I enrolled in school (electronics/avionics) :D , and I remodeled our bathroom. I plan on getting some time on my bike very soon. I have been unable to get the seat post out. I tried PB Blaster with no results. I don't think the problem is rust, I think the seat post was a hair to large for the seat tube and someone hammered it in. I was really hoping to get a laid back seat post on it, but it may become a permanent part of the frame and get cut down to where I need it. I'm still waiting for my wheel set to show up. :roll: I will try to find the time to strip the paint this weekend. Thanks for checking in.

Here we go:
photo33.jpg

photo34.jpg

Because they had to paint over the decals:
photo36.jpg

Done:
photo38.jpg

...done for the day and put her back in the "bike shop"
photo40.jpg

That stripped off nicely.
Now we get to see what you are going to do with it!!!

Cool!I see you've had your vitamin.Nice guitars as well.

Looking good! So does the black bike with the springer and apes in the background..and the SG..Rock On!!

Color inspiration:
photo42.jpg

I think the frame will go the brown/red and the tank will go white to match my wheels. The Rainier logo on the tank would go the same flat rcolor brown/red as the frame. I have some new, but dirty white walls (dirty walls) that might make it on this bike. :D

Sweet start! Hey i spy some guitars! Yeah baby! Wish I had bread for a SG. Play what ya got though. Rock on! Peace

Tank template:
photo43.jpg

photo44.jpg

Not quite sure what materials I'll be using for the tank yet or how I'll mount it, but the template will get the creative juices flowing and I can start messing with the size and design for the Rainier logo. :D

Re: Rainier Racer 6/1 parts bike and frame change?

Bike parts day! My 3 speed wheel set came today.
photo47.jpg

The only problem is the frame is going to have to spread quite a bit to fit the hub. Any suggestions/tricks?:
photo46.jpg

I will have to take out the dremel to grind the forks to get the front axle to fit:
photo45.jpg

Re: Rainier Racer: tank template and wheel set troubles 5/29

Ape Stanger said:
The only problem is the frame is going to have to spread quite a bit to fit the hub. Any suggestions/tricks?:

When in doubt trusty Sheldon Brown to the rescue.

Here is something I saw on Sheldon about using a 2x4 as leverage to widen/shorten/straighten the rear of a bike.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Latest posts

Back