Rainier Racer almost, she's on wheels! 9/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build off. I'm going to do my best to turn my Worksman into a Rainier Beer board track racer. I've seen a ton of beer bikes in the grocery stores, but I haven't seen a rat rod board track style representing the working man's local beverage. So... here's the bike as I picked it up from Craigslist:

potentialbike.jpg

Wish me luck.

Re: Rainier Racer

possible donor bike for $75. I need new wheels as my back hub is toast. What do you think? Not the coolest parts, but I would have a bike that I could really get down on in the future. Thoughts? :?

Circa Cycles said:
Mmmmm.Vitamin R.
YES! A vitamin R bike would bring me back to my high school days when I was "a bit too young" for the fine Northwest beverage.

Watching this build for sure, I LOVE the idea of a local beer powered pedalcycle!

Peatbog said:
Well, you end up with wheels you need, some nice tires and a another nifty frame. And you can even cut that seat up and make it different if you don't like the bulk of it.

seat1.jpg

seat4.jpg

finishedseat.jpg

That is the cool thing about building your own bike--whatever you don't like, you whack up and put back together into something you do like! And if you screw up it doesn't matter because you just do it again until you get what you want. And it is easier the next time because even when you screw up, you learn something that makes it easier the next time you do it. So when you screw up enough, you get really, really good at it! I speak from experience.

Nice job on that seat :shock: What did you use to cut off the excess foam before you sanded it?

Thanks for the info on the seat! The bike was sold within the hour so I missed it. I did however score a 3 speed wheel set from a fellow RRB friend. White rims on the soon to be deep red sparkle frame! I can't wait to start mock ups. Need a cool ratty brown leather saddle next.

...unless I use the custom seat knowledge I now have! The current saddle is just as ugly as Corca cycles how to. Thanks for the how to. I totally have to try it.

Well, my bathroom remodel is just about finished so I took some time today to disassemble the bike and get it ready for stripping, but... words cannot express the emotions I want to convey to the person who HAMMERED IN THIS SEATPOST!!!
photo28.jpg
:x :x :x
Any advice? :cry:

Thanks yootheguy! The good news is it's finally sunny and warm in Seattle and these are on the way!
photo30.jpg

photo29.jpg

I figured it had to have more than single speed to be a racer :D I lucked out on the color. The frame is going dark sparkle red and the fake tank will be white with and old school Rainier logo so the white rims are perfect.

tin machine said:
i am with you brother seat post are a nightmare , and i have had alot of them ...elm street :!: :!: those wheels are awesome love the nexus :mrgreen:
This think is killing me. I hate to do it, but it may end up being cut down to where I need it and become a permanent part of the frame. The seat clamp is the welded to the frame variety which makes it all the more difficult. I don't want to start cracking the frame. I'll pick up some penetrating oil and if that doesn't work...? Someone needs to invent a seatpost extractor tool. I'm going to take a break and go paint shopping.

Ape Stanger said:
This think is killing me. I hate to do it, but it may end up being cut down to where I need it and become a permanent part of the frame. The seat clamp is the welded to the frame variety which makes it all the more difficult. I don't want to start cracking the frame. I'll pick up some penetrating oil and if that doesn't work...? Someone needs to invent a seatpost extractor tool. I'm going to take a break and go paint shopping.

My last few stuck posts required heat... paint suffered. The one before that was such a pain that I ended up slicing the seat tube about 8 inches down, then welding it back up. I didn't grind the weld, it's a nice big frankenstein weld that will remind me of what I had to do.

Last year someone used a LARGE sharp drill bit to drill out their post.

I should have taken pics of the stem before I spent an hour on it with a wire brush and WD40. It was covered in rust and the bolts were frozen from it. It scrubbed up to a nice dullish finish to match the bars. :D

COMING TOGETHER NICELY...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

I have an idea for the stuck seat post. As soon as I have a couple of hours again I'm going to have a socket welded to the top of the post so I can get my hefty breaker bar on it. If I have to I'll bolt the frame to the old steel clothes line poles in my back yard.

Latest posts

Back