Raleigh Sprite(s) - updated 4-11-09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thrift store find. It's in very nice shape. My wife is digging it, so it's a keeper. A little cleaning and a tune up and it'll be ready for spring. The square fenders are way cool.

DSCN1559.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

DSCN1561.jpg

DSCN1562.jpg

Re: Raleigh Sprite

Nice Sprite. Here's my son's 1973 version. It originally had the bar set up as does yours, but the "self adjusting" brake levers were shot and he wanted drop bars anyway, so I installed the set you see from a donor Raleigh Record I found one day in a dumpster.

got this one looking like this:
raleighsprite.jpg

after a little clean up and the new bars and stem:
russraleigh8.jpg

Currently this bike is totally disassembled. Just got the frame and fork back from the painter, its now a sparkling black mica finish. I was able to find an NOS complete decal set so I wasn't freaking out about losing what was there.

As the budget permits, we're totally modernizing this one with all new components.....pics to follow.

Thanks guys. Russ, that looks great with the dropped bars. Please post pics after you get it back together!

Oh don't worry.....I post EVERYTHING I build or rebuild on this site!

Fastback Maniac said:
Very nice sprite. Here is my 69 version before I put a new front brakeand Brooks saddle back on it.

Cool chainguard on that one! Sweet color too!

I swapped with Blacksheep tonight. He got the Admiral Rat and I got the Raleigh Sports. It goes nicely with the Sprite. Nice to meet ya Blacksheep! Thanks for making the trip!

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1598.jpg

Tosa2112 said:
I swapped with Blacksheep tonight. He got the Admiral Rat and I got the Raleigh Sports. It goes nicely with the Sprite. Nice to meet ya Blacksheep! Thanks for making the trip!

Nice to meet you, too, and thanks for the trade. 8) Those Raleighs make a nice pair. Pretty cool.

I've been hoping to find something like the Admiral, but in our area(as you know) these old bikes don't grow on trees as they seem to in other parts of the country. :wink:

Picked these up yesterday. In very nice shape, just in need of new tires and a thourough cleaning. The guy said that they were in the basement for may years...based on the plates, he wasn't kidding. Check out the compressed-air horn. Yikes, it's loud.
DSCN1648.jpg

DSCN1649.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

Latest posts

Back