Raleigh "Trail" bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My normal "off-road" bike, 1970 Raleigh "Sports" 3 speed. Not what people expect to see on the dirt/gravel trails, but a fun ride nonetheless, and still a great roadster; raced it in an informal criterium using LOOK clipless pedals to help with the speed. I have even used it for bike polo, but not quite the right bike for that use. I have all the OE parts in very good condition, but using other parts that better serve my needs and/or whims: race pedals, custom leather bar grips and pump grip I made, Brooks "Flyer" saddle (OE is a B.72). Weighs in at about 52 lbs.
raleighsport&sportctourist.jpg
raleigh-sports-19691970-40975_1.jpg
raleigh-sports-19691970-40975_2.jpg
raleigh-sports-19691970-40975_3.jpg

Last edited:
Ride what ya brung.

The craziest trail move I ever pulled off was a (forced) 4' wheelie drop on 22lb Libertas fixed gear conversion. The fork tube cracked near the crown, but I was able to ride it out and for ten miles on the pavement to get back home.

Weird looks from "mountain bikers" means you're doing it right.

Ride what ya brung.

The craziest trail move I ever pulled off was a (forced) 4' wheelie drop on 22lb Libertas fixed gear conversion. The fork tube cracked near the crown, but I was able to ride it out and for ten miles on the pavement to get back home.

Weird looks from "mountain bikers" means you're doing it right.
Glad you didn't get "cracked" as well! We rode whatever was in the garage when kids, before mtb or bmx was a thing. Old balloon tire bikes that would get frame cracks; Dad would take to a neighbor who repaired them with some heavy welds. Never busted in that spot again. Tried riding a 50 mile gravel team time trial, but with the virus situation I deferred; I was going to use the Raleigh since I have no hybrid/cross bikes. All I needed were my clipless pedals and a racing saddle to modify it. I've only taken it for 25 miles max; I was curious how I, and it, would fare against the alloy and carbon bikes.
Take care,
Jesper

Lol here is my only working "trail bike"
I give you... DUCK NORRIS! Duck Norris is so tough they went back in time and named a movie star after him.
View attachment 117296
Note the extremely unadvisable kick stand. Don't do that.
That's essentially what us kids rode (albeit much earlier versions) "everywhere"!

Fully agree on the stand; not used in a competitive scenario. Not to mention the weight of the steel one. I also use the Raleigh for those important pub runs, so the stand was a needed feature; the bike or myself has to able to stand in the end.

That's essentially what us kids rode (albeit much earlier versions) "everywhere"!
Oh trust me, the ones you had as a kid were better, this thing is definitely a novelty, bicycle shaped object. Here's how it started out
IMG_20190622_152310323.jpg

And all the upgrades were taken off another promo bike. When I snap it, I'll upgrade. Or find a better one, bling this up a bit and sell it on. And I'm definitely not doing huge drops or anything, off a curb here and there, a few trails here and there, I'm shopping for a "do everything" hardtail for the bigger rides. If I want "bro caliber" dh gear, I can rent

Oh trust me, the ones you had as a kid were better, this thing is definitely a novelty, bicycle shaped object. Here's how it started out
View attachment 117362
And all the upgrades were taken off another promo bike. When I snap it, I'll upgrade. Or find a better one, bling this up a bit and sell it on. And I'm definitely not doing huge drops or anything, off a curb here and there, a few trails here and there, I'm shopping for a "do everything" hardtail for the bigger rides. If I want "bro caliber" dh gear, I can rent
I like your description: "novelty, bicycle shaped object." Thanks for the chuckle!
Jesper

My normal "off-road" bike, 1970 Raleigh "Sports" 3 speed. Not what people expect to see on the dirt/gravel trails, but a fun ride nonetheless, and still a great roadster; raced it in an informal criterium using LOOK clipless pedals to help with the speed. I have even used it for bike polo, but not quite the right bike for that use. I have all the OE parts in very good condition, but using other parts that better serve my needs and/or whims: race pedals, custom leather bar grips and pump grip I made, Brooks "Flyer" saddle (OE is a B.72). Weighs in at about 52 lbs.View attachment 117275View attachment 117276View attachment 117277 View attachment 117278
Have you changed to a different sized rim? Or still on the 26 x 1 3/8?

Latest posts

Back