Rant: rim strips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duct tape occasionally starts to wear through at the spoke nipple ends, at least for me. I save old rim strips, shorten them up from longer ones and attach the ends with Sho Goo. I sometimes make my own from old inner tubes and Sho Goo. The best are the fabric rim strips but I only use those on my road bikes. They are too expensive for all my bikes. I went fabric after duct tape wore through. For Christmas I want Gorilla tape, Sho Goo and zip ties.

Last edited:
I've been using filament tape for high pressure tires/double wall rims. Works fabulously and doesn't take up space.
The roll I have is about 30 years old!
Filament Tape.jpg

The LBS who built my first set of antifreeze Box rims likely used some super expensive rim strips. I think they were red. I hope I don’t see them for awhile!

I've been using filament tape for high pressure tires/double wall rims. Works fabulously and doesn't take up space.
The roll I have is about 30 years old!
View attachment 147171
That doesn’t wear through at the nipples? I know this stuff is tough. It was fairly new in the 1960s and at that time it could be used as a substitute for metal banding on military shipping. In the army sometimes I had to inspect boxes and if the contract called for steel banding it would pass if it had fiberglass’s reinforced tape. Once a delivery semi wouldn’t start at the dock and we helped bump start it with something like six bands of the stuff. I used to take it backpacking. Once on the Appalachian Trail I fixed a broken pack frame for someone who was broke down on the trail. My repair with this tape was stronger than the original construction. I’m thinking this stuff could work for a tubeless set up.

That doesn’t wear through at the nipples? I know this stuff is tough. It was fairly new in the 1960s and at that time it could be used as a substitute for metal banding on military shipping. In the army sometimes I had to inspect boxes and if the contract called for steel banding it would pass if it had fiberglass’s reinforced tape. Once a delivery semi wouldn’t start at the dock and we helped bump start it with something like six bands of the stuff. I used to take it backpacking. Once on the Appalachian Trail I fixed a broken pack frame for someone who was broke down on the trail. My repair with this tape was stronger than the original construction. I’m thinking this stuff could work for a tubeless set up.
Used it several times with steel rims without any punctures. Haven't tried truing rims though. I typically file and sand nipple heads before installing rim tapes for good measure. The tape is thin and I could see perhaps a protruding edge getting through with just a single wrap. The tape is ideal for narrow double wall rims where space is extremely limited.
Filament tape tears the long way. I once applied a 2nd layer in pieces to create a crosshatch, not necessary. My roll was made in the good ol' days... can't say for sure how the new stuff works. It's worth using if you already have the tape.

Used it several times with steel rims without any punctures. Haven't tried truing rims though. I typically file and sand nipple heads before installing rim tapes for good measure. The tape is thin and I could see perhaps a protruding edge getting through with just a single wrap. The tape is ideal for narrow double wall rims where space is extremely limited.
Filament tape tears the long way. I once applied a 2nd layer in pieces to create a crosshatch, not necessary. My roll was made in the good ol' days... can't say for sure how the new stuff works. It's worth using if you already have the tape.
I have the tape and will look to use it on rims.

Latest posts

Back