RAT ATTACK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I'll probably make a fool of myself, but I'll jump in.
This is my first bike build but the best way to learn is by doing, right?

I'm calling it RAT ATTACK (unless that's been used already).

I'm starting off with a Ross Dune Rider (year unknown. Maybe somebody has an idea).
Purchased 5/18/12 for $20.
I'm sure I'll be "borrowing" some ideas I find on the forum.
I actully got started tonight, I'll try and post a pic tomorrow.

Here's my project bike.
Rossbike.jpg

Jumping right in I see :mrgreen:

Awesome !!! Show us what you can do Donzie !!! Just a stab in the dark but judging from the reflectors 70's/80's bike ... not that age matters a bit. Looking forward to seeing the changes :wink:

Welcome to the jungle!

This is the perfect place for a first time builder to start, look thru all the build offs for ideas. Theres plenty of cantilever frames like your in the build off this year all going in different directions.

kingfish254 said:
Welcome to the jungle!
What he said! Great start. That rack alone cost $20. Ya starting with my favorite frame so...Get Ta Buildin'!! Peace

Thanks for the positive feedback.
Worked on it a little last night, getting it in a stripped down mode.
Not sure about using the Bastr lock, what do you think?
RatAttack.jpg

bikelock.jpg

If I had built my first rat rod bike in the build-off it really would have pushed me further along. The build-off is a grat learning experience.

"Borrow" all the ideas you can, if we didn't want to share them, we wouldn't post them up on a public forum.

the lock looks pretty wicked. I would definitely keep it even possibly move it to the front fork? Great potential there!

I need to dig thru some of my old hot rod parts and see if I can find anything for the bike.

Re: RAT ATTACK.....Phase 2

Phase 2.

I pulled this seat off an old Ross 20 incher I have.
I needed something to move my butt back so I'd have a better angle to the pedals. Not sold on it just yet.
I like how the bike lock fits on the seat brace though.
FatAttack2.jpg

HEY ROOKIE!! :mrgreen: YOU JUST DON'T KNOW HOW SWEET THAT IS. LOOK IN THE MUSCLE BIKE SECTION AND GTB!! PEACE

Never seen a nanner with a wheel lock!
Guess that is what the Dutch muscle bikes had!! :p

Re: RAT ATTACK....updated 5/23

Man, the more I look at the gallery the more confused I get.
I like the "Rat" look and that was the direction I was going, but after I looked at the board track bikes I'm really digging that look.
I guess my biggest issue is the seat. It works for the Rat look but not the track.
If I go with the track look I'd like a vintage seat that would set back further than stock. Plus I really like a kickstand that goes under the rear wheel, so I would need to find both of those pcs.
I have an idea to cut a metal panel (for a number, name, etc) that I could "hang" between the 2 horizontal frame tubes (I'm sure there are technical names for all the sections of the frame but I haven't learned them yet).

I realize that there are no rules and anything goes but I still feel a vehicle shoukd have a theme and it needs to carry thru.
So Rat Attack may become Rat Race.

Re: RAT ATTACK....updated 5/23

Donzie said:
Man, the more I look at the gallery the more confused I get.
I like the "Rat" look and that was the direction I was going, but after I looked at the board track bikes I'm really digging that look.
I guess my biggest issue is the seat. It works for the Rat look but not the track.
If I go with the track look I'd like a vintage seat that would set back further than stock. Plus I really like a kickstand that goes under the rear wheel, so I would need to find both of those pcs.
I have an idea to cut a metal panel (for a number, name, etc) that I could "hang" between the 2 horizontal frame tubes (I'm sure there are technical names for all the sections of the frame but I haven't learned them yet).

I realize that there are no rules and anything goes but I still feel a vehicle shoukd have a theme and it needs to carry thru.
So Rat Attack may become Rat Race.

Heck dont worry about it,most of us dont know proper bike terminology,I sure dont!! lol
As far as your build just do what makes you smile and it will all fall into place!!

This has lots of potential.Good luck with your build.Should be interesting to see what you end up with :wink:

Glad to see you entered this Build off the Fresh Finds page ....
As far as wanting to do a " Muscle Bike ", " Rat Bike " , or " Board Track Bike " ....
Don't Worry .... Combine all the elements if you want ... No One here is going to Scoff....
Like Xcruiser wrote "As far as your build just do what makes you smile and it will all fall into place!!"
( The Banana Seat is Cool... I do that on alot of my bikes for comfort and legroom ....)

Thanks for the positive feedback. I have a lot of ideas rolling around in head.

Latest posts

Back