Rat bike guys adjustable wrench.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even our best lbs has made or modified tools. I have never found a tool that fits the lock ring real well on square taper bottom brackets. The lbs welded and ground a hook on the end of a Park bb wrench. That works. I let them finish locking my rings on any bike I don’t want to goober up. I buy thin wrenches at yard sales and grind them to fit headsets, etc. I gave also ground a homemade spanner for slotted lock rings on headsets. Most of what I get at yard sales ends out too small, but they are cheap.

You need my 'beaver tooth' lockring pliers! They work like a charm and aren't limited to one size of lockring, like the Park solution. Also, it grabs that puppy by two notches, rather than just one.

Attachments

• LockringPliers_zps07153351.jpg
    LockringPliers_zps07153351.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 90
You need my 'beaver tooth' lockring pliers! They work like a charm and aren't limited to one size of lockring, like the Park solution. Also, it grabs that puppy by two notches, rather than just one.
I have two of these. Work like a charm and I use them all the time but when I have a pristine vintage or a high dollar rebuild I want no tool marks so it’s my homemade c spanner and wrench for the headset and the lbs for the bb lock ring. I have so few times I need the lock ring to be perfect that I haven’t bothered to modify my Park bb lock ring tool. I get it just tight enough that the Park tool doesn’t jump out of the bb lock ring slots and bring it to the lbs for more torque.

Jealous! I’m currently looking for some small ‘vintage’ tools to fit inside a faux oil tank.
I’m limited to tools less than 4” long...if all else fails, I can ‘store’ some ‘airline bottles’ of refreshments in there...[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit me up Dr T. Might have some ideas / options for you.

71uCz2VMvzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is available on Amazon for about $17. Found it when I was looking for this set of thin wrenches I got a couple of years ago.

71ZuXF1UdgL._AC_SX425_.jpg

ViceGrip with a replacement jaw. "You heard it here first". Grind or weld do what you need one time, save or replace the jaws, still retain the tool. Oh man, I'm probably gonna see this idea on a late night commercial. Vice Grips and replaceable jaws.
The 47/64 special bendix wrench, or the whitworth wrenches are fun to look at. If I need something and if it's not on my wind chime of stupid wrenches, I'll make one. Love my grinder. I can tell a good wrench by the sparks, lol.

Latest posts

Back