Rat Look OCC Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. My name is Dave, and I'm from Queensland in Australia.

I was given 2 of these Schwinn Stingrays about 5 or 6 years ago. They were both missing parts, and really rusty but I kept them anyway thinking I'd do something with them one day. I ended up giving one away, and keeping the best one.

I can't find some of the photo's of when I started, but fast forward to mid 2010.
I stripped it right back and sanded it ready for paint.

I laid on a couple coats of Grey Primer, Oxide Red, and Flat Black. I left it for a week, then roughly re assembled it to get an idea where I needed to rub through. I then wet rubbed the whole thing with 800grit sandpaper, rubbing through in some areas for that aged look.
IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

And I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Certainly doesn't look like fresh paint anyway!! :lol:
7db48443.jpg

15caed23.jpg

28e6ffa9.jpg

I didn't like the look of the original motorbike style forks, so I picked up a cheap pair of 26" springer forks on ebay. They were in really good condition, so they sat out in the weather for a while trying to get that aged look.
I didn't think I'd get them to work at first, as they only had a 1" steerer, and the Stingray was 1 1/8". SO I cut the old steerer off the Stingray forks and welded it onto the springer forks. Now they fit sweet!!
IMG_2273.jpg

d5073e56.jpg

And a pic of mine, next to my housemates Bratz 20" lowrider.
42f00fd4.jpg

I had planned to leave the seat original, as it looked pretty cool.
Until a friend managed to burn it with hot coals off a fire!
So I pulled it apart and recovered it with some Plaid material. I'm actually glad it got burnt, as I think it looks heaps better.
21473d9a.jpg

b9182bde.jpg

Looking good, I like the springer on there, don't think I've seen that before, it flows quite nicely.

If the stock seat gets uncomfortable (which I heard is common), I think an old 'MX' style loaf seat would be cool on there.

Build on brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T

The OCC headtubes are 1 1/8. And yes, 26" forks with a 24" front wheel.

The truck in the pic is my girlfriends Isuzu (or Holden Rodeo here in Aus). Its bagged but not bodydropped on 20's
b489c2a8.jpg

For the rear fender, I wanted a full length guard, but couldn't find anything wide enough. I was going to weld 2 rear fenders together, but couldn't even find another one anywhere.
So I grabbed a trailer guard from work, cut about 4 inches out of the centre.
2ba7c495.jpg

Then welded it back together
24de3038.jpg

I had to make a few cuts to bend it to follow the tyre, but it turned out perfect. Exactly what I wanted!
63d6676c.jpg

Since I'm after the rat rod look I didn't bother smoothing out the guard, just ground the welds down, and it hit it with the primer, red oxide, and flat black. Hit it with the 800 wet, and hey presto!
dc0d4832.jpg

5c157f63.jpg

I still need to make a support for the rear section, and I'd like to add some sort of reflector or light on the guard too.

When I first saw your post I was going to suggest a full fender. Glad I did not waste my time since we are on the same page. Looks great!!

I love teh way this build is going! Never seen a springer on an OCC before.

That full fender turned out great!!

well here is my .02's worth, for whats it worth, which isn't even worth .02.

really like the bike and that rear fender an the springer. great job. I just don't like the seat. would look better if ya built a seat to the contour of the frame and fender. see ,I told ya my .02's not worth anything.

nice build.

Outlaw 8)

I have been thinking a lot about the seat actually.
It was quite comfortable when it had the original forks on it, but now it has the springer forks, it's changed all the geometry, so the seat points down and isn't very kind to your butt anymore.

It will stay for now, I'm just not sure what I want to replace it with. Open to suggestions though?

Latest posts

Back