RAT ROD BIKES BUILD OFF 2 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad the cartoon cover made so many people happy. Like I said, I had a lot of fun making it. :mrgreen: Jimbo, maybe we could have the bike show during "Bike Kill" in NYC, but I don't think the Black Label bc is the same type of crowd or I can be completely wrong? I would love to attend "Bike Kill" and make it out in one piece, guess that makes me a poser. :wink:

3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure
Would this mean no welding on new dropouts?......Just wondering.because thats not a part but a piece of the frame.Discuss :!: :!: :!: Em

it seems to me that at this point the rules are just there as a suggestion...

people changing bikes, breaking rules, asking if it's ok to break the rules, farming out work, getting help from others, etc...

i could probably go through and D.Q. about a dozen entries already... but why nit pick :wink:

it used to be simple...
i mean, there are only 10 rules...

ahhh, RRBBO 1.... those were the days....

:p

I agree people are bending the build off rules. You cant weld on the frame unless you are attaching something onto it, like a tank-plate. Its a nice rule, but ive noticed that a couple people are bending that rule in their favor.

And about the Ratrod Bike Show (thats never gona happen)What about having it in Nebraska, its in the middle of the U.S. and..........its where I live! :mrgreen:

october said:

people changing bikes, breaking rules, asking if it's ok to break the rules, farming out work, getting help from others, etc...

i could probably go through and D.Q. about a dozen entries already... but why nit pick :wink:

it used to be simple...

as an outsider ,looking in, this Year.....I couldn't have said it better myself!

making it out of a new york bike show in one peice doesnt make you a poser at all!

im only pretending to be a poser....

october makes some good points, i have a seat tube getting bent at a machine shop rather than me doing it myself, and i did mod the frame in a few ways, and the further i get along in the build the more i say to myself "this aint a rat, this is a custom cruiser" i think that when my bike is done ill make the decision whether to keep it in the contest or to pull out. if its not a rat, it shouldnt be in a rat rod contest. either way, im gonna have an awesome bike!!! i encourage the other contestants to review what is the "spirit" of the rat rod idea, and make the same decision.

fast eddie outty

TheDuke said:
3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure
Would this mean no welding on new dropouts?......Just wondering.because thats not a part but a piece of the frame.Discuss :!: :!: :!: Em

Just to let you guys know, In the case of Giggles' dropouts, the original ones are still there and are intact. The flamed ones were welded directly to the old ones. The new ones could be ground off and the bike is as original as when she got it. As far as I can see, it's within the original rules. I make sure that I follow the rules to the best of my ability and Gigs is doing the same! :)

So Duke, if you're inquiring about adding dropouts, leave the old ones on and weld your new ones to the old.

I feel there are several bikes that are rats but not neccessarily Rat Rod Bikes. I know this discussion has taken place before and it may never have a real definition, but after this build off is over, maybe we should elect a few of the key-members to decide the real defintion of what a RatRod bike is. This could cut down on the confusion for future build offs.
Just my opinion,
Chainsaw

october said:

it used to be simple...

I kinda agree I dont think welding dropouts over the existing frame breaks any rules
but a few are pushing it and getting away from what the spirit of the buildoff is
but...............
lots of other people are building cool rat rod bikes too! and thats what it is all about!
and since there is only one winner and everyone gets one vote
the real rat rod bikes will come out in the voting :)
if we set and nit pick all the rules all we will be doing is nitpicking and not having fun :)
in the previous buildoff i think i built a pretty cool bike....... but I took myself out of the competition because I switched bikes
its all in fun anways
this forum is designed around a certain genre of bicycles and as with any genre the boundries get pushed remember when jethro tull won the grammy arard for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental? lol
lets have some fun and build some cool bikes and let the judging judge who built the coolest rat rod bikes!
the true winners are the builders :)

I was going to switch frames because my budget and parts inventory were lacking. I was able to continue with my original because I got a great deal on a Donor. I have no "special tools" and have done all my work with basic hand tools. I shortened a chain by filing off one of the pins with the file on my Leatherman Tool. That took a long time. I stripped off the frame's paint with carb cleaner, Scotchchbrite pads, and sandpaper. I cut the stainless mesh to fit with a hacksaw. I could have waited until morning and gone to my neighbors and used his cutoff wheel but I was impatient. The only thing I can not do was weld up my kickstand to look like a ball and chain as I don't own a welder. In exchange for doing it for me I cleaned my friends living and dining room carpets so it's not like I expended no effort. Either way it's a kickstand and I don't see the difference between buying one off the rack or what I did. If it's an issue I can put a stock one on it. I have scoured yard sales and antique shops for my "accessories". My total outlay for parts, paint, accessories is about $125, $35 of which was the donor bike, and $47.03 being the banana seat and sissybar from http://www.bikeworldusa.com . When all is said and done I'm glad I built this bike. I've never done one to this extreme before and it has been, and continues to be fun. That was after all the point of the whole thing right? I don't expect to win... never did. My boys like the bike and my wife thinks I've lost my mind. That's reward enough.... :D

how bout everyone builds their bike how they want, then before we vote on the build off bike, have a vote on whos in the contest according to the rules, no more permission ?'s, just fun !!!

we will all have kickin bikes at the end, just one of us will have braggin rights and a sweet t-shirt too !!! :mrgreen:

(P.S. XXL please) :lol:

Being a newbie, I'm looking at the contest as fun and not at all serious,
I'm customizing a bike I got for free ( i mean $8000 Hugo the code) and plan to do it as cheap as possible,
Most of all I'm making a bike that I think will look cool to me and will be comfortable for me to ride,
If other people like what I do to my bike, then bonus, if no one cares
no big deal, bottom line I am up one more bike that I like, and that's all
that matter's
So everyone stop yimma yammering and start creating some cool wheels!!!

:D

you Know what! Im out! .......Sorry Steve ......and to whom ever else.....

October longoria... If this makes you happy to rant....all the power to ya. I myself made the mistake of speaking out towards another bike and I still feel bad about it :cry: We are here to build cool bikes and have fun and encurage each other :mrgreen:

Im here for the good freinds! great enviroment! and knowledge base that is second to none on the WWW. THANKS STEVE and Everybody else who is here!

.....besides.....

my bike is becoming very shiny and I would like to finish it my way and some of the rules will not alow it.

If we ever have a build off with a no hold bars than count me in :mrgreen: Good luck to everybody.

sheesh...

1. i was not pointing fingers at anyone in particular.

2. it has nothing to do with the definition of a rat. we could discuss this over and over and still not come to a conclusion. anyway, i dont think any of my bikes ever fit into what a rat rod bike is. but, i did do every bit of work myself.

3. thanks Kev.

4. Gerry, you are not a poser.

5. Firewalker, you shouldnt bail out.

6. it was not a rant, i was just expressing my feelings and frustrations... it seems that every time i do this, i end up having to apologize.

7. build your bike the way you want.

8. see ya.

october

I guess I didn't explain enough about my comment :D Just look up "Bike Kill" or "Black Label bicycle club" on youtube or Google and you'll see that I was kinda joking about a rat bike show in NYC. Sorry about the confusion. As for the rest, just build people and keep it real(aka FUN). :mrgreen:

october I hear ya..... and thanks!

But the more I look at my bike, and what I would like to do with it I feel it does not fit within the rules anymore. :cry:

I do not wish to upset anybody with my build. It is by no means what you said directly. just the principle behind it :mrgreen: its all cool and in ways you are right!

this bike will be finished! and I will continue to share the build with you all. Just in another place

I have a very good friend who is a powder coater and ows me a favour! :mrgreen: I will be blasting down the frame and getting it powder coated..... :D

you can't say no to free!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i hope nothin i said ruffled feathers. even if my end product isnt what i would consider a "rat rod" it will be a home made custom and this site is a great venue to show off those kinds of creations, and i appreciate that opportunity. y'all "get me" and i dig it!
fast eddie outty

ice cream?

Now thats something I can talk about! Made some brownies the other night, then topped with cinnamon ice cream, chocolate fudge, and more cinnamon. heck yeah! ...

...chin up guys, it will all work out. I think EVERYONE is doing awesome things here, keep'em coming.

Latest posts

Back