Rat Rod Blades Challenge 2021 - Build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just found out my knife is illegal in Michigan. You can’t have a knife where the top and bottom are cutting edges, including a flint knife. Oh jeez, I like illegal when the law is asinine.
You could ship it to me, I'm in Illinois.
Wait our laws are probably as ignorant as anybody's...

I see @OddJob 's wife has him by the purse strings...
As far as my knife, I'm just thinking as BFK as I can get.
Realizing I'm using a FILE I'd like it styled as a cane machete
eagle-knife-heavy-duty-cane-bush-machete-1024x412.jpg

Unless I do the complete set (with a free toaster included)
and I did see a sword in a walking stick, hmm...

Carl

@Oak Tree , thanks for the support, I appreciate that!

And that old wood is going to make a great compliment to that old blade.
BlaDe oN~!

The original native glue ingredients for my flint knife included balsam fir pitch, powdered charcoal and dried deer dung. I haven’t been able to find any deer tracks since the Arctic cold settled in. Deer don’t eat much and don’t move much in the winter. Today I rode my bicycle 13 miles of frozen bush roads looking for a track crossing. I did find one and tracked it through the woods until I lost it on a paved highway. No dung though. Time for desperate measures, I’ll have to substitute myself for the deer. I got some fibrous dried up weed stocks that will have to go into my oatmeal.
20E77B07-EA01-4948-ADDD-FC361720461E.jpeg

The original native glue ingredients for my flint knife included balsam fir pitch, powdered charcoal and dried deer dung. I haven’t been able to find any deer tracks since the Arctic cold settled in. Deer don’t eat much and don’t move much in the winter. Today I rode my bicycle 13 miles of frozen bush roads looking for a track crossing. I did find one and tracked it through the woods until I lost it on a paved highway. No dung though. Time for desperate measures, I’ll have to substitute myself for the deer. I got some fibrous dried up weed stocks that will have to go into my oatmeal. View attachment 151105
You might want to eliminate fat and drastically reduce protein in your diet for a few weeks before collecting. For best results... :bigsmile:

Otherwise, maybe you could get local berries, stalks, and other fibers and put them in your blender along with something acidic (vinegar?), yogurt or other starter culture for bacteria, water, maybe something sugary if your berries aren't sweet enough, and blend it up to a paste. Then seal it in a canning jar for a few weeks. Might make a decent synthetic substitute.

Looks like maybe you cracked a tang?
Yep
Was going to shorten it anyway so it can fold, but for a few minutes I was using too much hammer and not enough torch and it broke.
it is possible there was a crack already there as the whole break wasn’t shiny and fresh looking.

The original native glue ingredients for my flint knife included balsam fir pitch, powdered charcoal and dried deer dung. I haven’t been able to find any deer tracks since the Arctic cold settled in. Deer don’t eat much and don’t move much in the winter. Today I rode my bicycle 13 miles of frozen bush roads looking for a track crossing. I did find one and tracked it through the woods until I lost it on a paved highway. No dung though. Time for desperate measures, I’ll have to substitute myself for the deer. I got some fibrous dried up weed stocks that will have to go into my oatmeal. View attachment 151105
Surely, ye jest!

You might want to eliminate fat and drastically reduce protein in your diet for a few weeks before collecting. For best results... :bigsmile:

Otherwise, maybe you could get local berries, stalks, and other fibers and put them in your blender along with something acidic (vinegar?), yogurt or other starter culture for bacteria, water, maybe something sugary if your berries aren't sweet enough, and blend it up to a paste. Then seal it in a canning jar for a few weeks. Might make a decent synthetic substitute.
Sounds like coyote bait, but I think it could work. A kimchee type experiment. I’m going to try it. Yesterday I found a site where someone is selling organic deer poop. I read the rave reviews and apparently pet hermit crabs love the stuff. Too pricey for me.

Padauk Basher

Day 1

Got a little progress on the books

Outline
20210212_192606.jpg

Cut out. So far so good.
20210212_193615.jpg

First hurdle. Copper nails I was gonna use are too thin.
No problem, I've some thick guage solid core copper wire. I can cut that into pins.
Just need to drill out the holes in the tange a little bigger.
20210212_195011.jpg

Hurdle two. Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but this is how a dewalt drill bit tells you that the steel is too hard.
20210212_200235.jpg

So I'm scrapping the copper pins idea and used the steel ones that fit the existing holes.

All glued up and nearly ready for shaping.
20210212_204516.jpg

I got lazy drilling the holes in the scales and payed the price. Instead of marking them up correctly and drilling from the outside, I just clamped the tang in place and drilled from the inside, so of course the scale splintered when the drill exited.

Serves me right.

Padauk Basher

Day 1

Got a little progress on the books

Outline
View attachment 151170

Cut out. So far so good.
View attachment 151171

First hurdle. Copper nails I was gonna use are too thin.
No problem, I've some thick guage solid core copper wire. I can cut that into pins.
Just need to drill out the holes in the tange a little bigger.
View attachment 151172

Hurdle two. Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but this is how a dewalt drill bit tells you that the steel is too hard.
View attachment 151173
So I'm scrapping the copper pins idea and used the steel ones that fit the existing holes.

All glued up and nearly ready for shaping.
View attachment 151174

I got lazy drilling the holes in the scales and payed the price. Instead of marking them up correctly and drilling from the outside, I just clamped the tang in place and drilled from the inside, so of course the scale splintered when the drill exited.

Serves me right.

Could have just used a torch to blue those holes and drop the temper before drilling. Put the blade in water or wrap in a wet towel while heating the tang to preserve your HT up front where it counts

Latest posts

Back