RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.........and then the rest in regular text.

This is where @Jake Sensi posts a funny Bugs Bunny quote.... :D

1602161567688.png

ROBBIN HOOD & LITTLE WILLY...
painted body :
Aged copper metallic.
20201008_124807.jpg

Then used : turn signal Amber ;
On windows .
20201008_124749.jpg

Over cut the dog house while trying to cut the fenders.; but some kind of 30s Ford grill that I found in a box.
Laid perfect on the core support.
Well, I get a nose on shot.. another time.
Here as I left it.. for now. Till next time ....
20201008_133905.jpg

Last edited:
The price of models these days, and they are not near the quality that they used to be. Can't believe, I was excited to get models on sale for $17.99. What I have this one that I bought in 1979 that has not been opened. And paid $1.88.View attachment 141113
You can thank Tower Hobbies (Hobbico) for that. They bought Revell and Monogram (and later, Revell of Germany), made Tower Hobbies the exclusive distributor...and then doubled the prices as they owned the manufacturing and the distribution. Round2 (then owner of AMT, now also Polar Lights (Aurora), Lindberg, and Hawk), reacted by cancelling their distribution contracts through discount stores (like Walmart) so they could double thier prices as well (prior to that you could buy AMT kits for $8). JoHan was bought by an individual and made a very limited go of it before all the above took place...but faded into obscurity a few years later. I'm surprised that property hasn't been bought up by Round2.

The result of all the above was to take a hobby that was destined to die a long slow death...and light the fuse and watch it implode. Hobbico went bankrupt, last year I think, and both Revells', and I assume MPC, properties were bought up by a German investment company...if you ever followed the prices of Revell of Germany's prices... they are $$$$$...or whatever the euro sign is. Expect the rest of Revell to go up...and I doubt that there will be much focus on the American stuff, as the US offices were shutdown during the bankruptcy and everyone (all 15 people) were canned. That leaves Round2, who have shown they will follow whatever Revell does on pricing. The only place left around here to buy models is Hobby Lobby...so, everytime my wife drops by to pick up whatever the next holiday decorations...I tagalong and buy one model with the 40% coupon so I can get one for a 'good price' of $15-25. Guess how many times I've seen a kid in the model aisle looking at kits in the last several years? Zilch.

By increasing prices and making them impossible, or at least improbable, to sell in discount/department stores... they've cut their own throats. Any remote hope of bringing in new customers is gone...just a last money grab while there are a few boomers and genXers still left out there buying.

If you couldn't tell...I am a bit irked about the situation :mad:.

So, that's what happened! Thought I would see if my nephew would be interested in model making, but the prices were absurd—more than a lot of lower end ready-made die cast prices and that's before adding paints, thinner, brushes, etc. I started landscaping when I was 13 and a decent chunk went to building WW2 aircraft, but I never would have started that if the prices were relative to what they are now. Eh, they don't come with an LCD screen, so he wouldn't have been interested, anyway.

IT'S LIKE I SAID WRATTERS. YOU CAN GET A MAISTO AT COSCO FOR 15 BUCKS. 1/18 SCALE DIECAST METAL. YOU CAN BUY A 1/24 DIECAST FOR THAT AMOUNT ALSO.
THESE MODEL CAR PRICES ARE MARKED UP CRAZY.
WILL A MILLENNIAL BUILD ONE? NOPE CUZ IT TAKES PATIENCE, PROBLEM SOLVING AND DOESN'T HAVE A LCD SCREEN. IT WILL TAKE "US" OLDTIMERS TO SHOW EM.
NOW...QUIT YA REMINISCING AND GTB!! [emoji38] PEACE

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

'32 Ford Dra-Hag-ster Momma
The former baby buggy engine compartment for Momma's Weirdo-oHs dragster has now become a custom trailer to haul her offspring.

It seems Rat Fink is taking a particular interest in this young 'un. Hmmmm...

Time for a "Name the Baby" contest. Ideas? Anyone? Beuller?
20201013_114811.jpg

20201013_124900.jpg

20201013_124751.jpg

It's a '32, so why not name the kid Deuce.

Latest posts

Back