RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish that was the case, but I haven't met a single millennial, or younger, that could code themselves out of a wet paper bag. Tech savvy, these days, seems to mean they know all the ins and outs of facebook and instagram.

Well...I take that back. I have met one, a co-workers son is a programmer, he nearly got caught in China during the beginning of the pandemic. Took him a month to find his way back to the states. Since then, he has been living in his parents garden shed and doesn't come out much because he is scareded.

Code:
var RG = RustyGold;
function parseRG(){
if (RG = "old grouch") {
InternetArgument();
}
else {
return " :thumbsup: ";
}
function InternetArgument() {
return :rolleyes: + sarcasm + "I see what you're saying, however" + argument;
if (RRB = "meltdown") {
return;  //stop the execution of function
}
else {
ParseRG;
}
}

Ok, boomers... :21:

Now go drop your grandkids off at code camp
View attachment 143131
... no time and patience indeed... mumble.. mumble.. old people these days... ...not like the old people back in my day... ...mumble..

Grab yourself a proagramable diy robot kit. Learn how to build and program that, and then do one of those with your nieces, nephews, and grandies. Foster the same skills with something that'll intestest them.:showingbiceps::thumbsup:

I'm tail end of Gen-X and I've done programming for CNC machines and PLCs for prototyping production machines. I can do what I need to do, but I only do it when I have to as I think I have ADD and it doesn't hold my interest (though I am old enough that ADD was referred to by teachers as: "Daydreaming in class again—you better shape up, mister!" and "He's certainly smart enough, he's just too lazy to bother putting in the effort." . . . actually, they were largely right about that last one). Never did anything with robots because I've never been interested in robots. This kid—and he doesn't seem unusual in this judging by his friends—doesn't know how anything works. I get not knowing engines as it's going to be of little use in his lifetime unless we end up all Mad Max-like—Two Dukes enter, one Duchess leaves!—but program? My nephew's a smart kid, but he's like a proverbial grandfather with the questions he asks me about doing simple things on the computer and the things he screws up with using them—he's one step above sending his allowance to a Nigerian prince! I find it shocking with all the cheap/free and readily available information, tools, equipment, and software there is out there—I would have killed for a 10th of this stuff when I was younger. The nieces seem more interested in mechanical stuff, but they're still really young. No . . . there is another. [/Yoda voice] So maybe it's not necessarily generational, but personal, since I never got into video games or consuming media or toys in general (some by choice) and plenty of my kid contemporaries did. I also don't suffer from nostalgia where it seems really prevalent with guys my age and even worse with older ones. I always thought it was because I hated childhood, but maybe it's merely that I lack a lot of the common shared consumerist experiences (even when I saw the same movies or liked the same toys, I preferred being alone).

Anyway, this looks like a fun build. I really wish I had kept my old 1:48 WW2 aircraft models I made as a teenager to enter this build off. A B-29 fuselage could have made a base for something cool.

Last edited:
G code rules.........fight me

Ok, back on topic of model glue and Weird Oh's (not glue sniffing weirdos)

Vintage photo of @us56456712 building a balsa model plane.
gettyimages-530860196-1024x1024.jpg

Are we back on track now? :113:

Yeah, I’m old, born 1945. I programed IBM punch cards for a course in college. I don’t think they had both zeros and ones back when I first herd about computers. I think they did all the early programming with ones. Ha, ha. I ran out of fast drying wood model airplane cement. Right now I’m using Elmer’s white glue and quick set epoxy. It’s slowing me down. I plan to get some super glue today when I get a ride to town for pt. I think this will work pretty well, but I’ve never tried it on wood models
image.jpg

Yeah, I’m old, born 1945. I programed IBM punch cards for a course in college. I don’t think they had both zeros and ones back when I first herd about computers. I think they did all the early programming with ones. Ha, ha. I ran out of fast drying wood model airplane cement. Right now I’m using Elmer’s white glue and quick set epoxy. It’s slowing me down. I plan to get some super glue today when I get a ride to town for pt. I think this will work pretty well, but I’ve never tried it on wood modelsView attachment 143174
1945. OG baby boomer. :thumbsup:
My uncle was born in 1945 on VE Day, he always said it was his contribution to ending the war. I miss him a lot. Cancer :/

Those balsa wood models are cool. I've never made one, are they light enough to fly?

Last edited:
I used to buy those simple balsa wood plane kits. A stick of wood with slots cut in it for the fuselage and simple sheet balsa wings.
Every summer I would buy a couple and by the time school started back up they were ready for the trash. Some were gliders and some had rubber band powered propellers.

They sure have gone up in price since the '70's. I could have quite a squadron for just a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G2LLB7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xqxOFb5PZZGKS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

@Verrt , maybe you aren't even old enough to remember the balsa planes we would assemble and shoot into the air with a rubber band type propulsion?

I remember them. But by then the styrofoam ones were around and I could get two for under a buck from the corner shop rather than the $3-$5 for the balsa wood version from the fancy hobby store.

My pocket money at that time was 30c a week. Balsa version didn't make economical sense :bigsmile:

QH81Mp9.jpg

Yeah, I’m old, born 1945. I programed IBM punch cards for a course in college. I don’t think they had both zeros and ones back when I first herd about computers. I think they did all the early programming with ones. Ha, ha. I ran out of fast drying wood model airplane cement. Right now I’m using Elmer’s white glue and quick set epoxy. It’s slowing me down. I plan to get some super glue today when I get a ride to town for pt. I think this will work pretty well, but I’ve never tried it on wood modelsView attachment 143174
You can get model wood cement at Hobby Lobby.

1945. OG baby boomer. :thumbsup:
My uncle was born in 1945 on VE Day, he always said it was his contribution to ending the war. I miss him a lot. Cancer :/

Those balsa wood models are cool. I've never made one, are they light enough to fly?
1946 was the start of : Baby Boomer.

1945 is still known as : The Silent Generation.

I remember them. But by then the styrofoam ones were around and I could get two for under a buck from the corner shop rather than the $3-$5 for the balsa wood version from the fancy hobby store.

My pocket money at that time was 30c a week. Balsa version didn't make economical sense :bigsmile:

View attachment 143177
Yeah I'm from the styrofoam generation too. They had the plastic nose tip with the propeller, but it wasn't powered, would spin when the plane flew.
One year, the parental units sprung for the BIG one, thing had at least 5 foot wingspan. So much fun, that thing must have lasted me and my brothers twenty minutes.

Latest posts

Back