Rat Rod Mountain Biking Trip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My son and I were able to go on a mountain biking trip in Davis Mountain State Park near Fort Davis TX a couple of weekends ago. My son likes to hike and tent camp so we did this along with some biking on a couple of old bikes that I fixed up. We took a trail that was 1.7 miles long with a 550' rise. I installed a 28 tooth front sprocket to go with the 19 T on back to give a decent low ratio. There was some riding up and good bit of pushing up as well :bigsmile:. The trail was pretty steep with lots of loose rock.

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Near the top we found a bike rack which we had to try out of course, I guess it was there so you could park and take in the views for awhile. I was riding my AMF Texas Ranger klunker and my son was riding an old F.S. Elite.

IMG_2002.JPG

Finally made it to the top and had our lunch in a little rock building with a nice view of the mountains. We messed around on top for a good bit looking at all of the old stone structures that were made there in the 30's before starting back down.

IMG_2031.JPG

Finally starting spending some of the energy used going up to come back down, fun :banana:

IMG_2014.JPG

My bike has a Sachs Torpedo Boy coaster brake that did well but got rather warm a few times so we stopped and let it cool off as needed...It's the only brake on the bike:shake:.
IMG_2022.JPG

Back at the bottom again, spent about three hours on this ride taking our time. Great day and great ride!!!

IMG_2016.JPG

Thanks all!!! Yes it was awesome!!!! I think we are going to make it an annual trip if not more often. I did dirt bikes (motorcycle) as a teenager. Did it again when my son was a teen so we both were OK with the off road thing. Brought back lots of riding together memories :happy:

Kool klunker build! And a great excursion / day trip with your son. Your route reminds me of some of the trails in and around Mesa, AZ that I ride. Can't wait to get back down there in a couple weeks! That pic with your bike up on the wall says it all. ratrodbikes.com instagram ready....:wink1:

Hey, thanks for the kind words OddJob!!! I'm still having nice flash backs from that trip, Pretty sure it will be an annual thing! Klunk on!

Latest posts

Back