Rat Rod Ver. 2.0 - I'm done...or Maybe Not.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I wasn't happy with my first attempt at building a Rat Rod from scratch, I took most of those parts and put them on this bike. Just like Microsoft doesn't get anything right until ver. 3.0 of their software issues, I'm currently fumbling along the way getting towards ver 3.0. Maybe at this time next year...

Pictured below is a 1952 Schwinn Hornet Frame and Fork that I purchased on eBay. All the other parts you see were purchased from Bicycle Don at Al Petri and Sons in Lincoln Park, MI. I even left the price tags on the chain ring and seat for a reference for my younger brother, who also just purchased an old Schwinn frame to begin building his first Rat Rod, so he can budget accordingly. Is that cheesy or what? :) To my surprise, I finished this build in about 1 hour, unlike the first one which took 3 days.

I really like how the Fat Franks look, but they are like boat anchors! They don't like to roll and I have 40 psi of air in each tire. It is rated for 22 psi to 65 psi. I feel like I am driving a 1962 Caddy Limo with a 4 cylinder! It can barely get out of its own way... Is this typical with this tire? It is very difficult to get any speed on these tires, and trying to go up a slight hill that I could sit down on my seat with my newer Schwinns, I have to really stomp on the pedals. I feel like I should wear an Orange Triangle on my back...

As I've explained in prior posts, I'm really cramped on this thing. I'm looking for a laid back or swept back seat post...I guess I'll have to try making my own...will have to eat a few hearty meals before I try stepping on the bar! :lol:

I have a Skip Tooth Crank and painted wheels to go with this bike, but the wheels need a lot of work and I'm tempted to cut out all the spokes and just re-spoke it. Is that a good idea? Or a bad idea? Eventually I'll get them put on this bike...the skip tooth chain is something I've never come across, can one use a typical chain pin removal tool on it?

Thanks to Bicycle Don for his invaluable help! http://www.petribikes.com/lincolnpark.htm

Again, I value every opinion posted here...so please fire away. :arrow:

52-Schwinn-Hornet-1.jpg

52Schwinn-Hornet2.jpg

52-Schwinn-Hornet-3.jpg

Kudos, on a sweet, clean looking build. That baby is smooth!

They don't like to roll and I have 40 psi of air in each tire. It is rated for 22 psi to 65 psi. I feel like I am driving a 1962 Caddy Limo with a 4 cylinder! It can barely get out of its own way... Is this typical with this tire?

Your chain clearance looks pretty tight already, but if you have the room take the tires up to 60-65 psi. I've got a pair of 2.5 inch Maxxis Hookworms on my MTB turned commuter. I had to fine tune the brakes and lower derailleur limit after putting them on, and again after inflating to full psi, but it was worth it. At that higher end of the inflation rate you get the smallest footprint and the least rolling resistance for a tire it's size, but you still get the shock absorption of the balloon tire. By comparison, holey cow, after I take my fixed gear out for it's nightly run on it's measly 1 3/8" inch tires I have to check all my dental fillings to make sure none of them were shaken out!

As I've explained in prior posts, I'm really cramped on this thing. I'm looking for a laid back or swept back seat post.

You can try a "J" post for the seat but watch out, old Schwinns had a smaller seat post diameter than some bikes, although you can still make it work with 4 vertical cuts up the post. You can also try a banana seat with a longer sissy bar, but ultimately, IMHO, if the frame is too small the frame is too small. Chalk it up to experience. Measure this one from the chain ring sprocket cup to the top of the seat tube and look for the next one to be 1-2 inches taller in that area.

I have a Skip Tooth Crank and painted wheels to go with this bike, but the wheels need a lot of work and I'm tempted to cut out all the spokes and just re-spoke it. Is that a good idea?

That depends on how much time you have and if you've got a truing wheel...or how much money you have........I prefer the truing wheel. But money isn't too bad either.

I'll get them put on this bike...the skip tooth chain is something I've never come across, can one use a typical chain pin removal tool on it?

Yes but the bend in the tool gets a little funky, and although I've taken out a skip tooth chain pin with a regular chain tool I've never put one back in with it. The subject just came up here not too long ago and I don't think it would be very difficult to locate a skip tooth chain tool.

Nice bike. Try adding 2 teeth to the rear sproket and it will feel alot easier to pedal and add air Like ghcleveland said. some times adding biger tires slows bike down.these 2 thinge will get it feeling better. bartleydad

The bike looks great!

If you really like it and plan to keep it/ride it then you need to ditch the coaster brake set up and find a Shimano Nexus 3 speed or 7 speed rear hub.

I've gotten to the point now where I refuse to ride anything without a Nexus hub...makes riding WAAAY more fun.

It would fit right in with the rest of your upgraded parts.

Nice looking bike. At 40 psi I know those tires are squishy. You should listen to your younger brother and add more air like he recommended.

Stevie1964 said:
Nice looking bike. At 40 psi I know those tires are squishy. You should listen to your younger brother and add more air like he recommended.

Definitely take them up to about 60psi.

Thanks for all the compliments and great advice. I'll certainly put more air into the tires as suggested and I'll have to ride Stevie1964''s Electra around the block a few times to see if I can get used to his 3 speed Nexxus. It will be somewhat difficult for this former newspaper delivery boy to ditch the coaster brake setup - they are just so quiet and simple. :)

hey Jimbo,
Electra's come with a coaster brake. If you don't mind shelling out the dough, you can get a 3-speed coaster brake wheel for that totally awesome looking bike you have.

jeff

Latest posts

Back